Taskbar up top, top of windows hide under taskbar when opened

Anonymous
2009-11-17T04:32:57+00:00

I've had this problem with every version of windows that I remember since I have been putting the taskbar up at the top of the screen.  Why Windows has never been designed to properly use this setup is beyond me.  In fact it is by far more productive way to have things with the taskbar up top.

Anyhow I have fixed this "error" every time but I cannot recall how it was done before.

Typically to fix it temporarily I move the taskbar, move the window in question down and move the taskbar back. This isn't very productive.  Most programs should remember their position when closed, but apparently aren't remembering.  There should be a way to force windows to open on top of the taskbar.  I know I could auto-hide the taskbar but I don't wish to do that.

I am using Windows 7.

Thanks

btw I did a search but did not find anything like this, but perhaps it is worded in a very strange way lol.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-12T17:11:53+00:00

    I run my taskbar on the left side (makes a lot of sense since most content we view is tall and narrow but our screens are short and wide) and have the same problem. 

    Here's the thing, i don't want to have to DO ANYTHING to correct the problem. I want it to not be a problem in the first place. I'll try the magnifier tip, as that sounds closest so far to an actual fix, and not just a work around.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-30T14:24:35+00:00

    Guys,

    Here is another approach to solve the problem ultimately.

    Install AutoHotkeys and use simple script to be able to resize any window which is currently active/selected. The script:

    !F12::

    WinGet, active_id, ID, A

    WinMove, ahk_id %active_id%, , 300, 40, 300, 600   

    return

    So, every time you hit Alt+F12 the active window will be moved to position = (300,40) with width=300 and height=600.

    Alex

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-13T15:10:52+00:00

    I don't know if you have fixed your problem yet but, you do not have to move your task bar to get the window back down from underneath it. Just click on the newly opened window's size bar on the right or left and then remove the focus to the windows desktop. I my case the windows pop back down below the task bar. I know it is not a great fix but at least you can leave your task bar locked in place and still get to the top of the new window.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-10T09:32:51+00:00

    That's only for some applications. And we should not have to do anything, it should just work!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments