Taskbar up top, top of windows hide under taskbar when opened

Anonymous
2009-11-17T04:32:57+00:00

I've had this problem with every version of windows that I remember since I have been putting the taskbar up at the top of the screen.  Why Windows has never been designed to properly use this setup is beyond me.  In fact it is by far more productive way to have things with the taskbar up top.

Anyhow I have fixed this "error" every time but I cannot recall how it was done before.

Typically to fix it temporarily I move the taskbar, move the window in question down and move the taskbar back. This isn't very productive.  Most programs should remember their position when closed, but apparently aren't remembering.  There should be a way to force windows to open on top of the taskbar.  I know I could auto-hide the taskbar but I don't wish to do that.

I am using Windows 7.

Thanks

btw I did a search but did not find anything like this, but perhaps it is worded in a very strange way lol.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-01-30T07:08:27+00:00

    Hi,

    This issue annoys me immensely too. I don't think Microsoft know or care that users get frustrated with these kinds of small, recurring problems, of which Windows has persistently been plagued with. It's like they do no customer research at all.

    Anyway, here is a solution:

    1. When a program opens under the taskbar, you can't click on the maximize/minimize/close buttons. However, you can usually see the edge   of the window.
    2. Click once on the very edge of the window, as if you're trying to horizontally resize it.
    3. The window should now automatically adjust itself so the maximize/minimize/close buttons are under the taskbar.

    Microsoft: LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS! Fix this problem - in English we read from left to right, top to bottom, not the other way around, so any sane person wants their start menu in the top left corner!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-01-05T07:07:28+00:00

    People are providing solutions to completely different problems.

    The problem, for like the fifth time, is that when you have the windows taskbar up on top, some windows are opened so that the title bar of the opened program is hidden behind the windows taskbar, disallowing the user to drag the window, maximize, minimize, or close the program with the mouse.  This does not just happen with older programs; this happens to me most often with Windows Media Player. 

    VERY ANNOYING and this problem should be fixed so that the title bar of any window could never be behind the windows taskbar.

    In order to go around this (A PERMANENT FIX SHOULD STILL BE WORKED ON BY MICROSOFT) I right click on the taskbar and select "show windows side by side. (win7)" This moves my opened windows so that I could drag my windows where I desire (or I select the window I'm trying to manipulate and wiggle it back and forth so that all my other windows minimize--another win7 feature).  *This might also work for you Jillian.

    It's 2011 and MICROSOFT STILL HAS NOT FIXED THIS ISSUE!

    I refuse to go through a 3rd party site in order to resolve this.

    I'm calling Bill Gates right now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-12-01T20:35:06+00:00

    control panel > Taskbar and Start Menu  .... you will find some taskbar  settings there

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-12-01T18:34:06+00:00

    :-/ I am having the same problem, but my taskbar is just on the bottom! Ugh, I'm so annoyed. It worked fine! And then - finger spasm. We've all had 'em.. Clicked on something by accident, no clue what it was. Well that happened to me & now all of my programs run below the taskbar (which is, located on the bottom of the screen). I've tried changing my resolution & dpi settings... Nothing. I'm clueless! Anyone have any tips?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments