There is a custom solution here: http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/44913-disabletaskbarontop-disable-taskbar-always-top-9.html But for all practicial reasons, this is a 'by design' feature in Windows 7.
Taskbar up top, top of windows hide under taskbar when opened
I've had this problem with every version of windows that I remember since I have been putting the taskbar up at the top of the screen. Why Windows has never been designed to properly use this setup is beyond me. In fact it is by far more productive way to have things with the taskbar up top.
Anyhow I have fixed this "error" every time but I cannot recall how it was done before.
Typically to fix it temporarily I move the taskbar, move the window in question down and move the taskbar back. This isn't very productive. Most programs should remember their position when closed, but apparently aren't remembering. There should be a way to force windows to open on top of the taskbar. I know I could auto-hide the taskbar but I don't wish to do that.
I am using Windows 7.
Thanks
btw I did a search but did not find anything like this, but perhaps it is worded in a very strange way lol.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2010-09-13T20:20:33+00:00 PROBLEM: When moving or having my taskbar/startbar to the top of my screen/desktop, windows and programs appear under the taskbar (their title bars appear below the bar and is inaccessible unless you move the bar or move the program/window manually). Or If I used dual monitors before and had a window/program on the other monitor, and then remove the monitor, the program/window is not smart enough to detect there is no longer a second monitor so the window/program is still on the other now non existent desktop.
SOLUTION: This is old but im going to reply anyways. In the old days, you would right click on the task bar, select move, then use your directional keys to move the window to where you want, also once you have pushed one of the directional keys, you can then move your mouse the window will be stuck to your cursor to place it where you want it.
IN WINDOWS 7 they have added the pin ____ so you have to hold shift and right click to get the old option menu back to move like this.
WINDOWS NEEDS TO FIX THIS, IT SHOULD NOT BE BY DESIGN. IF I PUT MY BAR AT THE TOP, PROGRAMS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO OCCUPY THAT SPACE. They should appear under the bar so I can move, minimize, and close them by having access to their title bar. This is broken and needs to be fixed, if its an intended 'by design' its a stupid design and needs to be fixed.
*Note Once a window or program has already appeared below the bar, its usually ok since you can't move it under the bar anymore, it will be pushed down correctly if you do, or maximize the window if you have that option enabled in windows 7. however sometimes programs and windows magically 'forgets' it's position, or hasn't initialized it's position, it may still appear under the bar when first loaded, which causes the annoying problem.
-
Anonymous
2009-12-04T22:46:34+00:00 I know there existed before an option to keep taskbar on top, it doesn't appear to exist in Windows 7.
I never use things full screen, only windowed and its only a couple programs (perhaps legacy ones) that are opening hidden and aren't remembering position.
I had thought there was a fix for it, but I could be mistaken. Its a minor issue and probably due the poorly written program more than a bug in windows 7.
F-11 doesn't do anything for it in Windows 7.
Thanks though for the replies.
-
Anonymous
2009-12-04T16:26:17+00:00 Hello corazon912,
Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Answers Community.
From the description that you have given so far, it does sound as if JS72 is on the right path with F-11. When you have it in Full Screen mode, the task bar will overlap the active window. If you hit F-11, it should then place the taskbar on top instead of over.
Hope this helps
Chris.H
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-
Anonymous
2009-11-18T16:52:48+00:00 Did you see if the use of the F-11 key came into play somehow ?