Taskbar up top, top of windows hide under taskbar when opened

Anonymous
2009-11-17T04:32:57+00:00

I've had this problem with every version of windows that I remember since I have been putting the taskbar up at the top of the screen.  Why Windows has never been designed to properly use this setup is beyond me.  In fact it is by far more productive way to have things with the taskbar up top.

Anyhow I have fixed this "error" every time but I cannot recall how it was done before.

Typically to fix it temporarily I move the taskbar, move the window in question down and move the taskbar back. This isn't very productive.  Most programs should remember their position when closed, but apparently aren't remembering.  There should be a way to force windows to open on top of the taskbar.  I know I could auto-hide the taskbar but I don't wish to do that.

I am using Windows 7.

Thanks

btw I did a search but did not find anything like this, but perhaps it is worded in a very strange way lol.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-13T22:02:57+00:00

    This is what happens. It has been happening since Windows 98 and drives me mental.

    Like said previously the only way to fix this is to resize the window using any edge (other than the top because it is not accessible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-10T04:09:16+00:00

    Hi,

    It's maybe too late, but i think it is useful.

    I have the same problem, and i agree that it's a lot more productive to use the task bar up to top.

    i found a little trick to put your window just at the limit of the task bar (when IT happens), without touching or moving the task bar like we all used to do lol.

    JUST CLICK ONCE, ON THE LOWER BORDER OF THE WINDOW (As seen in the image), and your window falls just at the limit of the task bar. a bizarre bug solved by an even bizarre trick lol.

    to be honest, it was pure luck.

    I hope this is, and will be helpful.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-16T15:02:01+00:00

    IF I PUT MY BAR AT THE TOP, PROGRAMS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO OCCUPY THAT SPACE.Same problem if task bar is on bottom, some windows have buttons OK / CANCEL covered. GoogleEarth has LAT LONG Height covered,all simply because WIN7 has stupidly been built to not recognise the space taken up by task bar. I loved XP home. WIN7 is a pain. MS does not care.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-01-21T21:12:55+00:00

    I feel your pain. I've been using the taskbar positioned at the top for a long time.  I can't believe how many wrong answers were posted.....   These are the easiest workarounds for me:

    1. Use the Windows key + Left or Right directional buttons to snap the window to the respective direction.
    2. Resize the window from any part of the outer frame. It will push the window down.
    3. If the window cannot be resized you could always use this portable freeware app called SecondShell that has TONS of window moving/resizing shortcuts.   Check out the site for video demonstrations.

    Examples:

    Resizing window

    Hold  Alt + Right click anywhere inside the window (NOT JUST THE FRAME) and drag

    Moving window

    Hold  Alt + Left click anywhere inside the window (NOT JUST THE FRAME) and drag

    http://www.secondshell.com/

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments