Taskbar up top, top of windows hide under taskbar when opened

Anonymous
2009-11-17T04:32:57+00:00

I've had this problem with every version of windows that I remember since I have been putting the taskbar up at the top of the screen.  Why Windows has never been designed to properly use this setup is beyond me.  In fact it is by far more productive way to have things with the taskbar up top.

Anyhow I have fixed this "error" every time but I cannot recall how it was done before.

Typically to fix it temporarily I move the taskbar, move the window in question down and move the taskbar back. This isn't very productive.  Most programs should remember their position when closed, but apparently aren't remembering.  There should be a way to force windows to open on top of the taskbar.  I know I could auto-hide the taskbar but I don't wish to do that.

I am using Windows 7.

Thanks

btw I did a search but did not find anything like this, but perhaps it is worded in a very strange way lol.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-18T04:52:07+00:00

    Hi All,

    I had the same issue and was getting extremely frustrated with replies from people providing answers on how to enable and disable auto-hide and other common things which everyone could have found without creating a post

    I found an article that mentioned magnifier but didn't post the solution unless you subscribed.

    Here is what I did to resolve it.

    Launch and enable the Magnifier and then disable it:

    1. Click "Start" --> "Control Panel (menu item)" -->  "Ease of Access Center (link)" -->  "Start Magnifier (push button)"
    2. Then Close the magnifier

    This resolved it for me and my windows are finally respecting the edge of the taskbar as a limit.

    Hope this helps

    Note: I had to initiate a switch user and log back into the session however I assume a restart will give the same result

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-26T22:05:24+00:00

    There's another method that has worked since the days of Windows 3.1, and doesn't involve using the mouse:

    1. When the offending window opens underneath the top-screen taskbar, press Alt-Space while the window still has focus.  This will drop down the "Control Menu" from the window's upper-left corner.
    2. Now use your down-arrow key to move the highlighted menu item to "Move", and press Enter.
    3. The four arrow keys will now more the window.  Press your down-arrow key again to move the window down; its top will slide out from under the taskbar.
    4. Press Enter to come out of the Move mode.

    Even in IE 9, the Alt-Space key retains its usefulness.  It brings up a more extensive Control Menu.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-18T18:22:48+00:00

    I know in XP you right click the task bar and select properties.  Then there is a check box for "keep the task bar on top of other windows."

    Tim

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-11-17T08:50:22+00:00

    Hi corazon,

    1.The taskbar needs to be "unlocked" before you can move it. To check, right-click the taskbar and ensure that "Lock the Taskbar" is not ticked. If there is a tick, click "Lock the Taskbar" to untick it.

    2.If necessary, close one or more running programs to free up some open space on the taskbar. Click an open area of the taskbar and hold down the mouse button.Be sure to click and hold near the centre of the taskbar. Clicking and dragging near the edge of the taskbar may simply widen it without moving it. The cursor should not turn into a double-headed arrow. If it does, you need to move the mouse cursor closer to the centre of the taskbar before dragging.

    3.With the mouse button still pressed, drag the taskbar to the top or side of the screen.

    4.Release the mouse button and the taskbar will remain docked to the chosen position.

    Have look at the article in the link

    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2200-taskbar-auto-hide-turn-off.html

    Cheer!!

    Erwin


    I am not 62; I am 16 with 46 years of experience..Think Positive..Think Differnet

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments