This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer.

Anonymous
2010-10-13T23:34:01+00:00

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and am unable to access FTP files OR the internet from Windows Explorer.

Under "internet options" on the Advanced tab, I have checked both "Enable FTP Folder View (Outside of Internet Explorer)" and "Use Passive FTP (For Firewall and DSL Modem Compatibility), but it still will not work.

On another computer using Windows 7 Enterprise, I have no problem accessing FTP files/folders or the internet, and have verified that all settings match on the two computers.

Is this a Windows 7 Home Premium issue, or possibly a firewall issue? My firewall is COMODO.

This is endlessly frustrating. I would appreciate any insight.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-28T20:33:31+00:00

Hi guys,

Here is the solution. Worked for me:

(Save a backup of your registry before you try this).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp]

@="URL:File Transfer Protocol"

"AppUserModelID"="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default"

"EditFlags"=dword:00000002

"FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll,-905"

"ShellFolder"="{63da6ec0-2e98-11cf-8d82-444553540000}"

"Source Filter"="{E436EBB6-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}"

"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\DefaultIcon]

*@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,*

*00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,75,00,72,00,*

6c,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,30,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell]

@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell\open]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-12T17:54:32+00:00

    This was the fix for me.  Thanks for posting.  It was way easier then doing the registry modification.  This worked on windows 7 enterprise with IE 11.  

    Best Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-07T10:54:50+00:00

    i had translate it to exe.

    u can download it the file by click HERE

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-07T11:01:55+00:00

    I had translate it to executing files.

    In case some user have no idea where to find the registry.

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwGHVuBCJi_ZVkdNWUltVEJQNzA/view?usp=sharing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-10T03:17:50+00:00

    I don't know what happened to mess up my long-time ability to use FTP for a particular site with Windows Explorer, but earlier today it suddenly stopped working, and rather than opening the FTP folder, clicking the shortcut sent me to a Firefox browser page, which in turn insisted it could not connect to the site I was asking for.

    I tried the often-suggested procedure of adding a new network location, but clicking on the newly-created location did not work.

    Many Google searches later, I came across this message thread. Long story shorter, I found a fix that worked for me. Perhaps it will work for you as well. Then again, your mileage may vary.

    Go ahead and follow the procedure for adding a network location. If it doesn't work, you can try what I did next:

    I went into the registry editor, and scrolled down to find this line:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\DefaultIcon]

    Here is what it looked like:

    Sorry the image is a little blurry... but the "default icon" is the path to the Firefox browser.

    I changed it so now it looks like this:

    To fix it, right-click where it says (default) in the right side of the window, then click "Modify," and then copy and paste this into the little window:

    C:\Windows\explorer.exe

    Assuming, of course, that this is the correct path to Explorer on your computer....

    Close the registry editor. Now try clicking on the network location you just created. If it now takes you to your FTP site in Windows Explorer, great! If it still doesn't work... I don't know what to tell you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments