This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer.

Anonymous
2010-10-13T23:34:01+00:00

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and am unable to access FTP files OR the internet from Windows Explorer.

Under "internet options" on the Advanced tab, I have checked both "Enable FTP Folder View (Outside of Internet Explorer)" and "Use Passive FTP (For Firewall and DSL Modem Compatibility), but it still will not work.

On another computer using Windows 7 Enterprise, I have no problem accessing FTP files/folders or the internet, and have verified that all settings match on the two computers.

Is this a Windows 7 Home Premium issue, or possibly a firewall issue? My firewall is COMODO.

This is endlessly frustrating. I would appreciate any insight.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-28T20:33:31+00:00

Hi guys,

Here is the solution. Worked for me:

(Save a backup of your registry before you try this).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp]

@="URL:File Transfer Protocol"

"AppUserModelID"="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default"

"EditFlags"=dword:00000002

"FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll,-905"

"ShellFolder"="{63da6ec0-2e98-11cf-8d82-444553540000}"

"Source Filter"="{E436EBB6-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}"

"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\DefaultIcon]

*@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,*

*00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,75,00,72,00,*

6c,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,30,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell]

@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell\open]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-17T03:35:29+00:00

    What does @ means? Default? Or I have to create a new string value named '@'?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-06T20:10:56+00:00

    I pasted this into a .reg file, sent it to a client & it fixed the problem for her too! Nice work!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-02T16:38:30+00:00

    Try checking the "Use Passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatability)" option in Internet Explorer->Tools->Internet Options->Advanced

    This one has annoyed me for a long time on just one machine that did not work properly to open FTP sites in WinExplorer.   Tried all the registry changes and hacks and nothing made a difference until I changed that option in IE.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-05-08T06:23:24+00:00

    Thank alot for your post. it is working fine for me.

    Download Windows registry editior.

    1. http://www.4shared.com/zip/15xieuZ5/Windows_Registry_Editor_Versio.html

    1. edit the registry with the above script.
    2. save the document.
    3. Backup your registry for your safety purpose and right click on the file and merge the document.

    Thanks.

    Srinivas.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments