This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer.

Anonymous
2010-10-13T23:34:01+00:00

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and am unable to access FTP files OR the internet from Windows Explorer.

Under "internet options" on the Advanced tab, I have checked both "Enable FTP Folder View (Outside of Internet Explorer)" and "Use Passive FTP (For Firewall and DSL Modem Compatibility), but it still will not work.

On another computer using Windows 7 Enterprise, I have no problem accessing FTP files/folders or the internet, and have verified that all settings match on the two computers.

Is this a Windows 7 Home Premium issue, or possibly a firewall issue? My firewall is COMODO.

This is endlessly frustrating. I would appreciate any insight.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-28T20:33:31+00:00

Hi guys,

Here is the solution. Worked for me:

(Save a backup of your registry before you try this).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp]

@="URL:File Transfer Protocol"

"AppUserModelID"="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default"

"EditFlags"=dword:00000002

"FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll,-905"

"ShellFolder"="{63da6ec0-2e98-11cf-8d82-444553540000}"

"Source Filter"="{E436EBB6-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}"

"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\DefaultIcon]

*@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,*

*00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,75,00,72,00,*

6c,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,30,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell]

@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell\open]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-21T14:19:11+00:00

    I am also having problems with Windows FTP. My Internet Explorer settings are similar, all of the right items checked, but no repsonse.  I also tried using FTP via command line and got the following error message:

    in.proftpd: error while loading shared libraries: libresolv.so.2: cannot open shared object file: Error 23

    Note:  I started all this because I was having trouble connecting to a remote server via my Dreamweaver CS6 FTP option.  So far I have tried using Ipswitch's WS_FTP, and Filezilla FTP client as well.  I got the same error message using Filezilla FTP client, so I am guessing that it is using the underlying FTP client.

    I believe that there may be an issue with the specific remote site, but I still think this error is local to my system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-13T13:45:32+00:00

    Thanks... Great answer..  Everything is just working fine again..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-04T13:37:21+00:00

    I HAD to post a reply after I finally solved this, because noone has yet been able to clearly state how to do this. I spent an hour this morning trying to troubleshoot this, and even after I found this thread, it still took another 30 minutes to implement a solution.

    To correctly solve this problem, you have to combine the advice of Randy Hayes, above on 12/2/12, Trax72 on 12/17/12, AND Tim Bimmler on 11/28/11, who apparently has a problem with expressing ideas.  I will compile these instructions below for the complete solution:

    1. Try checking the "Use Passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatability)" option in Internet Explorer->Tools->Internet Options->Advanced. SUPER DUPER IMPORTANT NOTE: Also check "Enable FTP Folder View (outside of Internet Explorer)".
    2. Create a new text document in Notepad and paste the following jibberish, including the first line about Registry Editor Version.  If this was obvious or made any sense at all, you wouldn't be reading a forum to solve your problem:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp]

     @="URL:File Transfer Protocol"

     "AppUserModelID"="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default"

     "EditFlags"=dword:00000002

     "FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll,-905"

     "ShellFolder"="{63da6ec0-2e98-11cf-8d82-444553540000}"

     "Source Filter"="{E436EBB6-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}"

     "URL Protocol"=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\DefaultIcon]

     @=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\

       00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,75,00,72,00,\

       6c,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,30,00,00,00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell]

     @="open"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell\open]

    1. Save as "microsoftarelazy.reg"
    2. Click start button -> Run.  Type "regedit" and click "OK". This is always how you open the registry editor.
    3. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp and highlight "ftp". Click File -> Export. Save it as "savemybacon.reg". You have now backed up your original ftp stuff.
    4. Click File -> Import.  Find "microsoftarelazy.reg" and click "Open". You don't have to save the registry after you do this.  Registry changes are instantaneous and don't have to be saved. However, they won't go into effect until you...
    5. Restart your PC! Registry changes don't take effect until you restart.  This is why new software installations always want you to restart.
    6. Congratulations. You have now performed your own patch on Microsoft Windows 7 so that Microsoft doesn't have to release an update, even though this is a known problem.  Open "My Computer" and enter your FTP address so you can get back to work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-22T21:39:49+00:00

    I have the same problem as Chaplain Doug.  When I open regedit there is no ftp key.  Also when I check default programs, there is no protocol for FTP or HTML.  Can someone help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments