This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer.

Anonymous
2010-10-13T23:34:01+00:00

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and am unable to access FTP files OR the internet from Windows Explorer.

Under "internet options" on the Advanced tab, I have checked both "Enable FTP Folder View (Outside of Internet Explorer)" and "Use Passive FTP (For Firewall and DSL Modem Compatibility), but it still will not work.

On another computer using Windows 7 Enterprise, I have no problem accessing FTP files/folders or the internet, and have verified that all settings match on the two computers.

Is this a Windows 7 Home Premium issue, or possibly a firewall issue? My firewall is COMODO.

This is endlessly frustrating. I would appreciate any insight.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-28T20:33:31+00:00

Hi guys,

Here is the solution. Worked for me:

(Save a backup of your registry before you try this).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp]

@="URL:File Transfer Protocol"

"AppUserModelID"="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default"

"EditFlags"=dword:00000002

"FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll,-905"

"ShellFolder"="{63da6ec0-2e98-11cf-8d82-444553540000}"

"Source Filter"="{E436EBB6-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}"

"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\DefaultIcon]

*@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,*

*00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,75,00,72,00,*

6c,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,30,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell]

@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell\open]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-28T19:45:12+00:00

    Same here. 3 win 7 Home machines. 2 of them have no problems. The third gets the described errors when trysing to open ftp via explorer or to map a networkdrive via explorer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-28T15:12:00+00:00

    Very similar issue here!! I am also running windows 7 home premium.

    I have 4 machines on the network, 2 running XP, 2 running windows 7. All machines are connected to wireless.

    XP machines happily access ftp sites either via explorer, IE or FTP client (filezilla).

    Win7 machines quite happily access any http location, and various areas of the network (printer / network attached storage), but refuse to access any ftp location using any method thrown at it: Explorer, filezilla, IE etc. In my case, when I connect the win7 machines to the network via a wired connection, all is good - FTP access works. But I want to be able to access ftp location via wireless! The win7 machines are 2 different models, with 2 different wireless adapters. The issue really does seem to point to win7.

    There is certainly some ftp win7 weirdness going on here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-17T15:43:37+00:00

    Hello Prairie21

    The thread you are posting in is almost a year old and will most likely be overlooked. Please create a new thread describing your issue in full detail. Thanks.

     

    A year old but still not working, Nicholas - perhaps you guys at the Microsoft end could stimulate some interest!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-17T15:38:57+00:00

    I have this, too.  However, I can open the FTP site using CMD.exe and the FTP command.  Log in prompted for, log in ok, upload, download everything.  So it's not about firewalls, it's about Internet Explorer (which issues the error pop-up window) deciding Windows Explorer won't work.  Oh, well, it will always be DOS underneath it all, won't it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments