This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer.

Anonymous
2010-10-13T23:34:01+00:00

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and am unable to access FTP files OR the internet from Windows Explorer.

Under "internet options" on the Advanced tab, I have checked both "Enable FTP Folder View (Outside of Internet Explorer)" and "Use Passive FTP (For Firewall and DSL Modem Compatibility), but it still will not work.

On another computer using Windows 7 Enterprise, I have no problem accessing FTP files/folders or the internet, and have verified that all settings match on the two computers.

Is this a Windows 7 Home Premium issue, or possibly a firewall issue? My firewall is COMODO.

This is endlessly frustrating. I would appreciate any insight.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-28T20:33:31+00:00

Hi guys,

Here is the solution. Worked for me:

(Save a backup of your registry before you try this).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp]

@="URL:File Transfer Protocol"

"AppUserModelID"="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default"

"EditFlags"=dword:00000002

"FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll,-905"

"ShellFolder"="{63da6ec0-2e98-11cf-8d82-444553540000}"

"Source Filter"="{E436EBB6-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}"

"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\DefaultIcon]

*@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,*

*00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,75,00,72,00,*

6c,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,30,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell]

@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell\open]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-04T09:24:24+00:00

    Thanks, it worked for me too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-12-23T21:45:02+00:00

    Hi guys,

    Here is the solution. Worked for me:

    (Save a backup of your registry before you try this).

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp]

    @="URL:File Transfer Protocol"

    "AppUserModelID"="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default"

    "EditFlags"=dword:00000002

    "FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll,-905"

    "ShellFolder"="{63da6ec0-2e98-11cf-8d82-444553540000}"

    "Source Filter"="{E436EBB6-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}"

    "URL Protocol"=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\DefaultIcon]

    *@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,*

    *00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,75,00,72,00,*

    6c,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,30,00,00,00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell]

    @="open"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell\open]

     Perfect thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-11-06T11:13:47+00:00

    The registry entry is for Win7. I have no idea if things work the same in win10.

    Don't ever use Win7 registry values in win10!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-09-28T06:07:11+00:00

    Hi I am running Windows 10 Pro with latest update...................before the update the FTP client used to open in Windows explorer ...........but the update has caused it to open in default browser ...................But in fact I want both update and the FTP client working in windows ......Any help would be appreciated

    Also I have tried your registry edit in FTP but it wont change a thing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments