This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer.

Anonymous
2010-10-13T23:34:01+00:00

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and am unable to access FTP files OR the internet from Windows Explorer.

Under "internet options" on the Advanced tab, I have checked both "Enable FTP Folder View (Outside of Internet Explorer)" and "Use Passive FTP (For Firewall and DSL Modem Compatibility), but it still will not work.

On another computer using Windows 7 Enterprise, I have no problem accessing FTP files/folders or the internet, and have verified that all settings match on the two computers.

Is this a Windows 7 Home Premium issue, or possibly a firewall issue? My firewall is COMODO.

This is endlessly frustrating. I would appreciate any insight.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-28T20:33:31+00:00

Hi guys,

Here is the solution. Worked for me:

(Save a backup of your registry before you try this).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp]

@="URL:File Transfer Protocol"

"AppUserModelID"="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default"

"EditFlags"=dword:00000002

"FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll,-905"

"ShellFolder"="{63da6ec0-2e98-11cf-8d82-444553540000}"

"Source Filter"="{E436EBB6-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}"

"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\DefaultIcon]

*@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,*

*00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,75,00,72,00,*

6c,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,30,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell]

@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell\open]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-14T13:44:09+00:00

    Hello rykopsycho,

    1.     Do you have any Third Party Antivirus software installed on your computer?

    2.     What happens when you try to access the FTP files, do you get any error?

    You can try the below method to fix this issue.

    I suggest that you disable Firewalls on your computer temporarily and check if you are able to access the FTP files.

    If you are able to access the files, then you will need to consider giving exceptions.

    You can follow the below steps to give exceptions:

    a.     Go to your Control Panel by clicking on the Windows Orb and clicking on "Control Panel". Click on "Network and Internet".

    b.      Click on "Windows Firewall". Click on "Change Setting" and then click on the "Exceptions" tab. Under that tab, put a check mark next to the FTP port 43.

    c.      This should allow connections to FTP sites. Click "OK" on the Firewall settings and close the other windows. I would then restart your computer and try to connect to the FTP site again.

    I also suggest that you disable the Comodo firewall and enable the Windows Firewall and check if you are able to access the websites.

    You can refer the below article that will give you information on Turning Off firewalls:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-Windows-Firewall-on-or-off

    Note: Please make sure that you enable the firewalls after performing the test to keep your computer protected.

    Thanks,

    Irfan H, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-02T16:38:30+00:00

    Try checking the "Use Passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatability)" option in Internet Explorer->Tools->Internet Options->Advanced

    This one has annoyed me for a long time on just one machine that did not work properly to open FTP sites in WinExplorer.   Tried all the registry changes and hacks and nothing made a difference until I changed that option in IE.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-17T15:38:57+00:00

    I have this, too.  However, I can open the FTP site using CMD.exe and the FTP command.  Log in prompted for, log in ok, upload, download everything.  So it's not about firewalls, it's about Internet Explorer (which issues the error pop-up window) deciding Windows Explorer won't work.  Oh, well, it will always be DOS underneath it all, won't it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-10-17T19:55:44+00:00

    Thank you for your response.

    However, this didn't solve the issue.

    Answers to your questions:

    1.     Do you have any Third Party Antivirus software installed on your computer? Only Microsoft Security Essentials

    2.     What happens when you try to access the FTP files, do you get any error? I can access the FTP site over the internet, but I need to be able to access the FTP site using Windows Explorer so that I can move the files from the FTP folder to my desktop. When I log onto the FTP directory, I see this message: To view this FTP site in Windows Explorer, click Page, and then clickOpen FTP Site in Windows Explorer. When I click PAGE and then the Open FTP Site In Windows Explorer, I receive an error message: This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer.

    I did follow the steps outlined above, verified that FTP Server is allowed in and out, and I created new inbound and outbound rules for Port 43. Still nothing.

    As I mentioned before, I was using Comodo Firewall, which I have since uninstalled and am just using the Windows Firewall. I have attempted this with the firewall on and off and before and after restarting the system. Additionally, the settings on this computer (Windows 7 Home Premium) match the settings on the other computer that does work (Windows 7 Enterprise).

    Any other suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments