There are multiple instances of explorer.exe running in task manager (currently 7), each one using between 10-40MB of memory.

Anonymous
2009-11-03T00:15:23+00:00

Different explorer.exe processes are using cpu resources at different times.  I remember reading a while back that this could be a sign of a virus, but I've done a full scan with NIS 2010 and nothing showed up.  Can anyone give me pointers where to start investigating?

I did a clean install of Windows 7 last Friday -formatted HDD and all, so there hasn't been much time for anything bad to happen!

<Original title - There are multiple instances of explorer.exe running in task manager (currently 7), each one using between 10-40MB of memory.  I've never seen this in any previous version, and it doesn't look right to me. >

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-02T01:12:12+00:00

I found out what is causing the explorer.exe's to hang... If you give ANY arguments to explorer.exe in your shortcut/properties, to try to change the default directory from Libraries, it will hang.  For example, simply using "explorer.exe C:" will cause explorer task to hang whent you close it... by hang, i mean the window closes, but the process remains in memory.  I had 15 explorer.exe's tonight....  There are tips on the net about how to get explorer to default to My Computer (which I was using this tip -- i HATE it defaulting to Libraries which i NEVER use)..... so edit your shortcut, and take off any arguments to explorer.exe.  See if this fixes it!

As expected , the tech support is clueless on this I see.

PS -- I just figured out how to default Explorer to My Computer... Its weird, but it works...  Rightclick drag your My Computer icon on the desktop over to a blank space.  Create a shortcut....  Now unpin any Windows Explorer you have from your Taskbar... Now, left-click drag your My Computer shortcut to the taskbar.    Now, if you just click this, you go to Libraries.... BUT -- if instead you right-click it, you will see the My Computer shortcut, and select this, and it goes to My Computer.... and there are never any EXTRA explorer.exe's hanging around!

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-04-05T03:05:48+00:00

    I too am having this problem (as I have some switches included my explorer.exe shortcut).  It doesn't matter whether it's configured to run in a separate process or not, I end up with dozens of instances of explorer.exe.  Zardos99's solution doesn't work for me - it doesn't let me open up multiple instances at once using that method.  Microsoft needs to fix this, and numerous other major problems with Windows 7.  I had such high hopes for Service Pack 1, but not a single issue I was having was fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-04-13T07:22:58+00:00

    Zardos99 is right--I had been using these with the Explorer launcher to get to My Computer instead of the (useless) Library system. Removing all the tags opens the Explorer with all the folders and trees I've looked at expanded, making it a complete mess, but it doesn't leave a second (or 15th) explorer.exe instance either.

    I really love Microsoft--it's "break this to fix that". Techs, you have your answer--and it involves letting users adjust the Explorer window enough that they don't have to resort to command-line switches to do it (start location, whether all trees are collapsed, whether I ever see Libraries, etc, etc). I imagine we won't see a fix until Windows 8, when something else gets broken.

    Every new version that comes out makes me wonder more and more why I haven't tried Linux yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-13T16:46:55+00:00

    to get rid of mutliple running processes of the same name just do the following:

    start > run

    cmd.exe

    taskkill /f /im processname

    in this case it would be

    taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

    to restart the explorer process,

    ctrl + alt + del

    file > run

    explorer.exe

    note that windows does sometimes spawn multiple explorer's

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-04-17T01:27:00+00:00

     I found out what is causing the explorer.exe's to hang... If you give ANY arguments to explorer.exe in your shortcut/properties, to try to change the default directory from Libraries, it will hang... See if this fixes it!

    PS -- I just figured out how to default Explorer to My Computer... and there are never any EXTRA explorer.exe's hanging around!  

    I had to come back here to the forum this evening after reading it this morning. I created an account -- just to thank you for the solution to this problem. So -- thanks!

    I used to have a single explorer.exe running; then I began using C:\ as a command line argument because I hated defaulting to Libraries since I rarely if ever use it, but I never made the connection.

    So now I laugh!  because plain ole Computer does the what I want, a nice clean Explorer (just plain Computer, not your way). Been using PCs since 1981, Windows since 1985 and didn't realize what Computer was good for. Duh...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments