There are multiple instances of explorer.exe running in task manager (currently 7), each one using between 10-40MB of memory.

Anonymous
2009-11-03T00:15:23+00:00

Different explorer.exe processes are using cpu resources at different times.  I remember reading a while back that this could be a sign of a virus, but I've done a full scan with NIS 2010 and nothing showed up.  Can anyone give me pointers where to start investigating?

I did a clean install of Windows 7 last Friday -formatted HDD and all, so there hasn't been much time for anything bad to happen!

<Original title - There are multiple instances of explorer.exe running in task manager (currently 7), each one using between 10-40MB of memory.  I've never seen this in any previous version, and it doesn't look right to me. >

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-02T01:12:12+00:00

I found out what is causing the explorer.exe's to hang... If you give ANY arguments to explorer.exe in your shortcut/properties, to try to change the default directory from Libraries, it will hang.  For example, simply using "explorer.exe C:" will cause explorer task to hang whent you close it... by hang, i mean the window closes, but the process remains in memory.  I had 15 explorer.exe's tonight....  There are tips on the net about how to get explorer to default to My Computer (which I was using this tip -- i HATE it defaulting to Libraries which i NEVER use)..... so edit your shortcut, and take off any arguments to explorer.exe.  See if this fixes it!

As expected , the tech support is clueless on this I see.

PS -- I just figured out how to default Explorer to My Computer... Its weird, but it works...  Rightclick drag your My Computer icon on the desktop over to a blank space.  Create a shortcut....  Now unpin any Windows Explorer you have from your Taskbar... Now, left-click drag your My Computer shortcut to the taskbar.    Now, if you just click this, you go to Libraries.... BUT -- if instead you right-click it, you will see the My Computer shortcut, and select this, and it goes to My Computer.... and there are never any EXTRA explorer.exe's hanging around!

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-06T10:25:15+00:00

    Sir,

    Simply

    Unchecked the *"Launch folder windows in a separate process"*option

    in Explorer>Folder Options solved the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-07T05:56:10+00:00

    Ok, here is the solution on my machine.  Win7 HP 32, runs 24/7

    I usually restart my machine every few days, so the 15-20 explorer.exe instances I usually saw were ignored.  Today, after running for 10 days, I had 47 instances.  Figured it was time to come here and find out what is causing that.  No solutions here.

    After playing around a bit, I found the situation on my computer was caused by the shortcut I used to open explorer at the location I want (rather than the default).  Some of the instances created by this shortcut went away, some did not.  The some-did-not piled up after a while.

    The shortcut (in a toolbar on the taskbar) that caused this:    Target:  C:\Windows\explorer.exe /n,/e,e:\hold2\  -  have used that for many years

    My new shortcut:    Target:  E:\Hold2  -  opens explorer where I want and does not result in a new instance of explorer.exe

    Worked for me, your mileage may vary.

    Regards.

    fes

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-11-17T14:29:14+00:00

    Same problem here, except I assumed it was just one more Microsoft F-Up.  I also noticed that after Microsoft suppport had people jumping through hoops and blaming the probelm on anything but their software, then when they realized that the problem was in Windows 7 they just disappeared!

    And, its been over a year and no fix!  Just like the slow data copy issue they had in fixed in Vista and never fixed.

    May just be time to say bye bye to Microsoft and move up to Linux!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-28T09:32:54+00:00

    Thank you Zardos99!! I had given up checking back here for answers in the last few months, but you have finally nailed the bug.

    I simply replaced the Explorer shortcut (which I had also set to open on My Computer because Libraries are a waste of space) with a shortcut to My Computer, and it opens a Window at the desired place without spawning another explorer.exe process.

    Also, to those who were casting aspersions at uTorrent - FYI that's not the source of my problem, thought I am using V 2.0.4.

    M$ support are useless. Do they even read the solutions that their users post for them??

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments