There are multiple instances of explorer.exe running in task manager (currently 7), each one using between 10-40MB of memory.

Anonymous
2009-11-03T00:15:23+00:00

Different explorer.exe processes are using cpu resources at different times.  I remember reading a while back that this could be a sign of a virus, but I've done a full scan with NIS 2010 and nothing showed up.  Can anyone give me pointers where to start investigating?

I did a clean install of Windows 7 last Friday -formatted HDD and all, so there hasn't been much time for anything bad to happen!

<Original title - There are multiple instances of explorer.exe running in task manager (currently 7), each one using between 10-40MB of memory.  I've never seen this in any previous version, and it doesn't look right to me. >

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-02T01:12:12+00:00

I found out what is causing the explorer.exe's to hang... If you give ANY arguments to explorer.exe in your shortcut/properties, to try to change the default directory from Libraries, it will hang.  For example, simply using "explorer.exe C:" will cause explorer task to hang whent you close it... by hang, i mean the window closes, but the process remains in memory.  I had 15 explorer.exe's tonight....  There are tips on the net about how to get explorer to default to My Computer (which I was using this tip -- i HATE it defaulting to Libraries which i NEVER use)..... so edit your shortcut, and take off any arguments to explorer.exe.  See if this fixes it!

As expected , the tech support is clueless on this I see.

PS -- I just figured out how to default Explorer to My Computer... Its weird, but it works...  Rightclick drag your My Computer icon on the desktop over to a blank space.  Create a shortcut....  Now unpin any Windows Explorer you have from your Taskbar... Now, left-click drag your My Computer shortcut to the taskbar.    Now, if you just click this, you go to Libraries.... BUT -- if instead you right-click it, you will see the My Computer shortcut, and select this, and it goes to My Computer.... and there are never any EXTRA explorer.exe's hanging around!

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-12-22T04:20:42+00:00

    Hello LynnD1971,

    So what happened when you put your system in a clean boot state?  When you checked the Reliability Monitor what critical events did you see?  Since this is a forum environment here is a link that you may find useful on how to ask a question.

    One of the key elements is that you have a second system with Windows 7 running the same applications and is working with just one shell process.

    Your follow-up response would suggest that your issues happen when plugging in an additional hardware component.  Since there are many manufactures that make that type of hardware, telling the community what specific hardware you are using might help in narrowing down a solution for you.

    I would first check with your 3rd party manufacture to see if they are aware of any problems relating to their hardware.

    Are there any other scenarios in which you are receiving a blue screen?  Something that may be helpful is reviewing your memory dump file.  It would be best to upload it to your SkyDrive and sharing it so we can view it.

    If all fails I would recommend you do a repair install.

    I hope this answers your questions, if you require further assistance please come back and post, we are more than happy to help you out.

    Regards,


    Edgar

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-12-27T16:54:47+00:00

    I get so tired of this ____.  Why are we being put through hoops to "check to see if you have any critical events and what they are." as though this problem isn't common to every win7 64bit user.  GIVE ME AN ANSWER ! ! ! !   DON"T offer suggestions about defragging my harddrive to improve performance ?  Arrggghhhh !!!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-12-27T19:41:19+00:00

    Start regedit and go to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ Advanced

    create a new or change the existing DWORD SeparateProcess entry to 0 .

    Does it help?


    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-03-29T21:58:11+00:00

    I too have the same problem, however, it seems like people who know more about computer doesn't have this prob so they can't understand,..... ..... I too have this problem on every different kind of win 7 I installed....

    once there were more than 5 explorer.exes lol

    Same problem with people on all the blogs i've visited, but no solution yet... they can't even diagnose it.. lol

    !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments