There are multiple instances of explorer.exe running in task manager (currently 7), each one using between 10-40MB of memory.

Anonymous
2009-11-03T00:15:23+00:00

Different explorer.exe processes are using cpu resources at different times.  I remember reading a while back that this could be a sign of a virus, but I've done a full scan with NIS 2010 and nothing showed up.  Can anyone give me pointers where to start investigating?

I did a clean install of Windows 7 last Friday -formatted HDD and all, so there hasn't been much time for anything bad to happen!

<Original title - There are multiple instances of explorer.exe running in task manager (currently 7), each one using between 10-40MB of memory.  I've never seen this in any previous version, and it doesn't look right to me. >

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-02T01:12:12+00:00

I found out what is causing the explorer.exe's to hang... If you give ANY arguments to explorer.exe in your shortcut/properties, to try to change the default directory from Libraries, it will hang.  For example, simply using "explorer.exe C:" will cause explorer task to hang whent you close it... by hang, i mean the window closes, but the process remains in memory.  I had 15 explorer.exe's tonight....  There are tips on the net about how to get explorer to default to My Computer (which I was using this tip -- i HATE it defaulting to Libraries which i NEVER use)..... so edit your shortcut, and take off any arguments to explorer.exe.  See if this fixes it!

As expected , the tech support is clueless on this I see.

PS -- I just figured out how to default Explorer to My Computer... Its weird, but it works...  Rightclick drag your My Computer icon on the desktop over to a blank space.  Create a shortcut....  Now unpin any Windows Explorer you have from your Taskbar... Now, left-click drag your My Computer shortcut to the taskbar.    Now, if you just click this, you go to Libraries.... BUT -- if instead you right-click it, you will see the My Computer shortcut, and select this, and it goes to My Computer.... and there are never any EXTRA explorer.exe's hanging around!

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-17T11:35:23+00:00

    Russ, I'm not clear on what you did to solve this problem.

    Can you be more specific and precise? Is everything done in regedit?

    1. open regedit
    2. change permissions on what from what to what
    3. delete every instance of explorere and iexplorer.... etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-17T07:40:46+00:00

    Here's how you fix it....i'd get over 50 explorer.exe's rear their ugly heads on occasion....and my c.p.u would be at 100%..it sounded like my computer was going to blow up!!out of frustration i went to regedit and typed in explorer.exe,and BAM!!!....I i deleted whichever one regedit search popped up and just like that c.p.u went to 99% to the good and my once slow runs as efficient as can be. I know what someone is going to say.."That i had a virus..nope i ran the bought and paid for version of malwarebytes then deleted it and ran windows defender and nothing came up on either. It did take a while because i had to open each entry and change permissions for every sub-entry,(and i went ahead even after things were better and deleted every instance of explorer.exe and iexplore.exe,i also typed both in the find search box without the ".exe" to make sure everything with the explorer name got deleted.sure they say its risky messing with your regeditor ut sometimes a little gamble has a big payoff!!!...DANGER-RUSS

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-29T17:19:28+00:00

    I am having the same issue.  I do use uTorrent and I am supposing other software causes the same issue.  I found a PowerShell script online that looks at all instances of explorer.exe and stops all explorer processes except the biggest one.  the text is "Get-Process explorer | Sort-Object -descending CPU | Select-Object -Skip 1 ID | ForEach-Object -Process {Stop-Process -Id $_.ID}"  put this text (minus the quotation marks) in a text file and save it as filename.ps1.  You can then run this script with Windows PowerShell to save you some time.  Maybe Service Pack 14 will fix this one!

    I seeing this problem on Win 7 -32bit when I double click on a jpg file from Windows Explorer.  I don't get it if I open the file explicitly with a viewer. There is definitely something going on with Win Exp.

    Jeff

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments