There are multiple instances of explorer.exe running in task manager (currently 7), each one using between 10-40MB of memory.

Anonymous
2009-11-03T00:15:23+00:00

Different explorer.exe processes are using cpu resources at different times.  I remember reading a while back that this could be a sign of a virus, but I've done a full scan with NIS 2010 and nothing showed up.  Can anyone give me pointers where to start investigating?

I did a clean install of Windows 7 last Friday -formatted HDD and all, so there hasn't been much time for anything bad to happen!

<Original title - There are multiple instances of explorer.exe running in task manager (currently 7), each one using between 10-40MB of memory.  I've never seen this in any previous version, and it doesn't look right to me. >

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-02T01:12:12+00:00

I found out what is causing the explorer.exe's to hang... If you give ANY arguments to explorer.exe in your shortcut/properties, to try to change the default directory from Libraries, it will hang.  For example, simply using "explorer.exe C:" will cause explorer task to hang whent you close it... by hang, i mean the window closes, but the process remains in memory.  I had 15 explorer.exe's tonight....  There are tips on the net about how to get explorer to default to My Computer (which I was using this tip -- i HATE it defaulting to Libraries which i NEVER use)..... so edit your shortcut, and take off any arguments to explorer.exe.  See if this fixes it!

As expected , the tech support is clueless on this I see.

PS -- I just figured out how to default Explorer to My Computer... Its weird, but it works...  Rightclick drag your My Computer icon on the desktop over to a blank space.  Create a shortcut....  Now unpin any Windows Explorer you have from your Taskbar... Now, left-click drag your My Computer shortcut to the taskbar.    Now, if you just click this, you go to Libraries.... BUT -- if instead you right-click it, you will see the My Computer shortcut, and select this, and it goes to My Computer.... and there are never any EXTRA explorer.exe's hanging around!

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-11-05T12:47:25+00:00

    Hi Mir

    Thanks for the response but I'm certain that these are not regular instances of explorer.  I am a system admin and am familiar with all the above. I have Norton Internet Security 2010 and Diskeeper Pro 2010 running on the machine. I also have system restore disabled. I do not use IE, I use Firefox or Chrome, and I'm well capable of spotting the difference. :)  With zero applications - none, nothing - running (well obviously the bare minimum background and systray services), I have 7 instances of explorer.exe in task manager. Not iexplore, explorer. The shell.

    I would attach a screen shot but it doesn't seem to allow it here.  Simply, There are multiple instances of explorer being spawned on my system for no apparent reason. I have a second system with Win7, running the same suite of apps, and it, quite properly, has just the one shell process.

    In general there is one process using around 40-50MB of memory, and 6 using 10-15. I can kill off the 6 smaller ones with no complaint whatsoever from the OS.  They just seem to be sitting there eating memory.

    Since I upgraded to win7 64-bit to get away from Vista and its memory leaks and waste, I'm not too happy.  Can you make a more specific suggestion, or else escalate please?

    Thanks for your time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-11-04T01:39:05+00:00

    Hello Lynnd1971

    Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forum!

    The multiple explorer.exe which are visible in your taskbar manager. It  is not a sign of virus. There are programs which are running in the background, once you close any program it disappears by default.

    Difference between explorer exe and iexplorer.exe

    The explorer frame is capable of browsing the file system (My Computer, c:, etc) as well as the Internet.  iexplore.exe starts Internet Explorer, which is the explorer frame browsing the Internet, with all the correct buttons and other UI elements.  explore.exe starts the shell the first time it is run.  If you run explorer.exe again, by doing something like Start->Run->explorer.exe->OK, it launches a file system view with all the corresponding buttons and widgets. 

    You may also run an online virus scan on the computer to improve your system performance. Please refer the link below:

    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

    For additional information about system performance, please refer to the links below:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Improve-performance-by-defragmenting-your-hard-disk

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-Disk-Cleanup

    I hope that this information helps. Please get back to us if you have any more questions about this issue.

    Thanks and Regards

    Mir - Microsoft Answers Support EngineerVisit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments