Fonts in Windows 7 are fuzzy/blurry...

Anonymous
2009-10-23T03:54:32+00:00

Hello,

I've played around with the latest RC of Windows 7 and find the fonts to be very fuzzy/blurry, so much so that it causes headaches (the same issue occurred when I dabbled a bit with Vista).  I've spent a lot of time searching for a resolution but have never come across anything that solves the problem.  I gather ClearType is at the heart of the problem but no amount of tweaking helps.  I was originally told that CRTs can cause this behavior but I have since upgraded to an LCD and still find it troublesome.  I am in the minority with this problem but have discovered other are bothered by the same thing.  Has MS ever addressed this, or is there another solution out there?  I am very interested in upgrading to Windows 7 but it is unusable for me if I cannot fix my font issue.  I may also be at a loss because I cannot justify spending the money on the OS to just try fixes that may not even help.

TIA,

Greg

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-25T02:44:58+00:00

Well at the end the final solutions to solve this issue were:

  1. Unselect the cleartype

   - Click Start Orb > right-click computer > click properties

   - On the left pane click Advanced system settings

   - Under performance click Settings

   - Check mark Smooth edges of screen fonts

   - Click OK > click OK

  1. Change all my fonts sizes and types to tahoma and Trebuchet MS (XP style).
  2. That solved the blurriness but not the brightness (too much white in windows 7, the explorer is the worst) =(.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-11-18T16:32:46+00:00

    Check "Disable diplay scaling on high DPI settings" on "Compatibility" tab in application "Properties" window. It worked for Win7 on Dell M4400 1920x1200 LCD.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-10-23T23:28:40+00:00

    I have the same problem. I also used the rc which was excellent. Now, my fonts are poorly rendered when using programs.

    I am also having problems with a balance between screen resolution and font size. When I use the suggested resolution on my 24 inch monitor, the screen is excellent. Then, when I enlarge the fonts because of poor vision, my online browser windows are much too large. If I reduce the font size, my browser window text becomes almost unreadable. Is there a way to make a more finite adjustment?


    Robert C. Smith

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-10-23T20:28:32+00:00

    Thanks for the reply Spencer.  The problem isn't common but I do know that I'm not the only one experiencing it.

    Quick and dirty search: http://www.google.ca/search?q=windows+7+blurry+text 

    I don't recall everything that I tried as it's been quite some time now.  I'm guessing it's too late to try the RC again now that Windows 7 has officially launched, so I'm in a bit of a tight spot to actually test anything now.

    I did adjust/tweak ClearType as well as trying to adjust font sizes, all to no avail.  I tried lots of other things too (like trying various screen resolutions, etc).  Installing IE7 on XP did the same thing to the fonts (but only in the browser itself), fortunately in this case there is a work around to restore how it renders fonts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-10-23T12:49:17+00:00

    This is the first I have heard of a problem like this to be honest.  I'm going to assume you have tried adjusting/removing Cleartype.

    Have you tried adjusting font sizes, and things of that sort?


    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments