Windows 7 Explorer Frequently Crashes - Error 0xc0000374

Anonymous
2009-11-05T22:22:29+00:00

original title: Windows 7 Explorer Frequently Crashes!!! **** ... no way!!! yep. It usually happens when my computer is left on overnight or after a few hours of some serious php scripting with but of course MS Expression Web 3. lmfao. It usually results in not being able to rename something ... right click ... delete ... etc. Its one of these not multiples ... that causes a explorer crash and in order to fix this annoying undocumented feature ... i MUST REBOOT! Do you know how annoying this is when your right in the middle of editing some plain text documents!!!!! ... the initial installation took about 20-30min to actually start up and took an excessively long long time to install to begin with.

WTF Microsoft ... I thought Win7 wasnt going to have any of the previous OS issues! Linux FTW!

HW:

MSI 9800GT - Video Card - Not OC

Gigabyte S Series Motherboard

AMD 4000+ AM2 64x2 Processor - Copper Cooling Block not OC

2x1GB Ram ( Single Channel )

500GB SATA Seagate Barricuda HDD - Brand NEW

Razer DeathAdder USB Mouse

D-Link Wireless N Card

Standard Keyboard (PS2 Connector)

HP DVD Burner ( ide )

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-03-02T12:32:28+00:00

    I have the same problem except in my case it happens when I open Control Panel. here is my .dmp file: http://cid-ec4918dff70b5c89.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=EC4918DFF70B5C89!134

    Below is the detailed info from the event viewer:

    Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce796f3

    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7b96e

    Exception code: 0xc0000374

    Fault offset: 0x000c37b7

    Faulting process id: 0xcb8

    Faulting application start time: 0x01cbd8d0ec9c8d25

    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

    Report Id: d7288816-44c5-11e0-9484-00138f5198b0

    XML:

      <Provider Name="Application Error" />

      <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

      <Level>2</Level>

      <Task>100</Task>

      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-02T12:08:54.000000000Z" />

      <EventRecordID>66132</EventRecordID>

      <Channel>Application</Channel>

      <Computer>/Computer>

      <Security />

      </System>

    • <EventData>

      <Data>Explorer.EXE</Data>

      <Data>6.1.7601.17514</Data>

      <Data>4ce796f3</Data>

      <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>

      <Data>6.1.7601.17514</Data>

      <Data>4ce7b96e</Data>

      <Data>c0000374</Data>

      <Data>000c37b7</Data>

      <Data>cb8</Data>

      <Data>01cbd8d0ec9c8d25</Data>

      <Data>C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE</Data>

      <Data>C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>

      <Data>d7288816-44c5-11e0-9484-00138f5198b0</Data>

      </EventData>

      </Event>

    Best regards,

    Atanas

    Edited: on 06/04/2011 15:59

    I found the problem. It's because of exeption after loading  the firebird cpl applet (system32\Firebird2Control.cpl). When I was renamed the file with some different extension the problem was gone. Thank you anyway!

    Best regards

    Atanas

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-10T20:34:34+00:00

    Hey could someone please look at my dump file and tell me the issue?

    http://cid-1b9d771d3a50e49a.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/explorer.exe.4164.dmp

    Running Windows 7 Professonal 64bit, and keeps crashing whenever I try to fast forward/skip around in a youtube flash video.

    Thanks!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-12-08T16:11:53+00:00

    Hi eric,

    yes upload the dmps and I look at them.


    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

    Hi Andre,

    I just went over there yesterday because the computer was frozen up, after I rebooted the computer there was no localdumps folder in the C drive.

    I am not sure if this is because I just did a hard reset, one thing I noticed after I pressed the power button I got a dialog box stating that explorer.exe was not responding, but before I could click on it to close it, or have it wait etc...

    I have noticed after looking a bit more, it is not when the computer goes to sleep, because it is set not to go to sleep. What happens is that after the monitor shuts off then comes back on from mouse movement or keyboard is when it freezes up. At first it was set to shut the monitor off after 60 minutes. I changed it to 1 minute and than would wait about 2-3 minutes. When I came back the computer would freeze up, but only for a minute or so, then come out of it. I am going to try let it sit for longer today and see if I can't get it to crash that way.

    One thing I am not sure of, when it locks up, is there anything I can do to make sure it generates the dmp file? It seems like just rebooting it will not generate the file.

    Thanks


    Eric

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-24T23:40:06+00:00

    Andre,

    I have a client with this issue when ever her computer wakes from sleep everything is locked up. I imported the registry file so I am just waiting for it to do it again, will you be able to help me with this?

    Thanks


    Eric

    Hi eric,

    yes upload the dmps and I look at them.


    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-11-24T01:42:09+00:00

    Andre,

    I have a client with this issue when ever her computer wakes from sleep everything is locked up. I imported the registry file so I am just waiting for it to do it again, will you be able to help me with this?

    Thanks


    Eric

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments