Automated Startup Repair fails. Cannot find OS Loader.

Anonymous
2009-11-02T14:44:48+00:00

On installation of 'Windows 7', after installing needed drivers, some of which were designed for XP or Vista, on a Toshiba Portege M200 (Tablet PC from 2003) and Windows 7 automatically downloading and installing updates:

Windows 7 can't boot.

It goes directly to the Automated System Recovery and no matter which option I choose it fails to fix the problem.

  1. Sometimes it says it did fix the problem and didn't.
  2. Sometimes it says it failed to fixed the problem and in those cases the Diagnosis and Repair details says as:

Root cause found:

Boot manager failed to find OS loader.

Repair action: File Repair

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490

Time Taken = 4767 ms

Repair action: Boot configuration data store repair

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490

Time Taken = 150ms

Repair action: System Restore

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x1f

Time taken = 68489 ms

What is the cause of this? And how do I fix it?

The harddrive is brand new and a full memory check said the RAM was good.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-23T12:15:39+00:00

I had the same problem on one of our laptops.  This has 2GB of memory so it appears to be related to that and Windows updates.  I did the following from the following Microsoft article which resolved the issue for me http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-gb.

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

  1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  2. Press a key when you are prompted.
  3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then clickNext.
  4. Click Repair your computer.
  5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Note To start the computer from the Windows Vista or Windows 7 DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer or contact the computer manufacturer.

!\[\](http://support.microsoft.com/library/images/support/kbgraphics/public/en-us/uparrow.gif)Back to the top

Bootrec.exe options The Bootrec.exe tool supports the following options. Use the option that is appropriate for your situation.

NoteIf rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:

  • bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
  • c:
  • cd boot
  • attrib bcd -s -h -r
  • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
  • bootrec /RebuildBcd

/FixMbr The /FixMbr option writes a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR. /FixBoot The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:

  • The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista or Windows 7 boot sector.
  • The boot sector is damaged.
  • An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista or Windows 7 was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).

/ScanOs The /ScanOs option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store. Use this option when there are Windows Vista or Windows 7 installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list. /RebuildBcd

The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD.

After following the above i then ran the following from command prompt:

bootrec /fixmbr

then

bootrec /fixboot

This resolved the issue for me and allowed me to log on to the PC in its previous working state.  Great stuff.

Hope this works for you!

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-05-22T06:40:48+00:00

    Error messge: The system cannot find the path specified.

    Problem is that all files are now on D:\ (don't know how or why they moved, because they were loaded onto c:\

    Tried the commands on d:\

    Same problem...  Sorry, good try.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-05-21T12:48:46+00:00

    try this in your cmd. This resolved the issue for me and allowed me to log on to the PC in its previous state.

       x:

       cd \windows\system32

       copy winload.exe c:\ windows\system32

       copy advapi32.dll c:\windows\system32

     x: = System Reserve partition.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-29T05:40:20+00:00

    I recently reinstalled (using a dual boot utility between the new HD and the partially broken Win7).  After reinstalling for days! I used the new install for about 3 weeks and began getting errors that the BCD was missing or corrupt, the boot could not find Winload.exe, or just a continually bignin-reboot cycle.   I used the win7 install disk repair and it didn't fix anything. I used the same process listed above by momominimo and finally solved the problem.  I assumed it was from the use of the dual boot utility - partially dorking the BCD.  I did have a disk from a yr ago with the original BCD and I copied that to C: (didn't have to rename to existing one...there was none).  I ran the auto repair feature along followed by the 3 options with bootrec IN THAT ORDER. Now it boots.  Note: I did this in other orders several times with no success. Key for me MIGHT have been the original BCD file that I saved. But, after trying so many times for several days, I can't say for sure just what the key is/was.  But clearly, the use of Bootrec.exe along with the auto repair eventually works.   (There is a free util call StartUpRepair from Visual BCD - I have now used it too.  I suggest looking into it once you install these laptops and before you reboot!)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-07-15T21:36:53+00:00

    Same problem here, Compaq Presario CQ61 and Windows 7 Home Premium. I've tried about everything that has been suggested here (except re-installed the whole system). You better come up with a solution since I'm not going to re-install windows if this fails but some user friendlier Linux distro.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments