send to desktop as shortcut missing

Anonymous
2010-04-07T18:58:45+00:00

When I right click a file or folder and select "Send To" the option of "Desktop (Create a Shortcut)" is missing. Windows 7 upgrade from Vista

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-08T14:30:32+00:00

Hey driver1275,

Here’s how you can restore the missing item.

To restore the item, follow these steps:

1.     Click Start , type the following path and press Enter :

C:\Users\default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

2.     Copy the file Desktop (create shortcut) from the Default user folder and place a copy in your user profile SendTo folder.

3.     The SendTo folder of your user profile can be accessed by typing shell:sendto in the Start-search box.

That should do the trick.


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-03T19:00:44+00:00

    I have tried this but all that happens is instead of creating a shortcut when I click send to desktop, it creates a duplicate of the file.

    I have tried several times but the result is the same.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-04-09T21:25:21+00:00

    in my SendTo foler of my user profile (shell:sendto shortcut) There is a Desktop (create shortcut) already. I delete it and copy the one from the other folder and it is STILL missing from my right-click menu

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-15T04:45:38+00:00

    I tried it from Start-Search too and it works

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-08-03T21:43:25+00:00

    Hey driver1275,

     

    Here’s how you can restore the missing item.

     

    To restore the item, follow these steps:

     

    1.     Click Start , type the following path and press Enter :

    C:\Users\default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

    2.     Copy the file Desktop (create shortcut) from the Default user folder and place a copy in your user profile SendTo folder.

    3.     The SendTo folder of your user profile can be accessed by typing shell:sendto in the Start-search box.

     

     

    That should do the trick.


    Regards,

    Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    I copied, drug, the deskktop shortcut from Shell to the desktop and brought it back to the right click menu.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments