send to desktop as shortcut missing

Anonymous
2010-04-07T18:58:45+00:00

When I right click a file or folder and select "Send To" the option of "Desktop (Create a Shortcut)" is missing. Windows 7 upgrade from Vista

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-08T14:30:32+00:00

Hey driver1275,

Here’s how you can restore the missing item.

To restore the item, follow these steps:

1.     Click Start , type the following path and press Enter :

C:\Users\default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

2.     Copy the file Desktop (create shortcut) from the Default user folder and place a copy in your user profile SendTo folder.

3.     The SendTo folder of your user profile can be accessed by typing shell:sendto in the Start-search box.

That should do the trick.


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-03T19:00:44+00:00

    I have tried this but all that happens is instead of creating a shortcut when I click send to desktop, it creates a duplicate of the file.

    I have tried several times but the result is the same.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-02-06T04:29:45+00:00

    I had to change a few things:

    1. I clicked open the start button
    2. In the search box I entered: C:\Users\default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Sendto
    3. I tried to figure out a way to copy and paste the left hand column in Windows Explorer: It usually starts with 'Desktop'

    then Documents, Pictures etc. A few lines down you will see your name - this is the user folder in Explorer. If you scoll down the alpha list you will come to the 'S'. I did not have a Sendto Folder so I added a new folder 'Sendto".

    1. The I typed  "shell:sendto" in the Start - search box
    2. Behold the contents of a file popped up on the right hand display column. In the second position was the 'Desktop - Create shortcut' name.
    3. I copied it (just the shortcut) and pasted it to the 'SendTo' file that I had just created
    4. An error message came up and send that the folder 'SendTo' already existed
    5. I zipped down to where  the pasting I had done now said 'SentTo'
    6. I replied yes to the question do you want to replace the existing file
    7. I opened the new folder and behold' Desktop Shortcut' existed
    8. I test it by send a folder from my documents list to the Desktop - worked just fine.
    9. What I don't understand is how these main folders keep disappering for no reason. This just seems to be an ongoing battle - or worse yet - new folders are added for no appartent reason. One day I looked at my external drive and there was 400 of 980 gigs free. The next there was barely 100 gigs free. Almost everyday single folder has cloned itself and it was a good thing I had Auslogics Dupelicate File Finder - or I still would be sitting here deleting files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-12-21T14:30:36+00:00

    Hi Kim-Hanley,

    Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Community site. In an effort to focus more attention on your particular situation create a new thread here.  This will mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics, allowing us to focus on each customer individually

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-12-20T19:08:39+00:00

    didn't work  sent me to folders and said my folder was empty help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments