send to desktop as shortcut missing

Anonymous
2010-04-07T18:58:45+00:00

When I right click a file or folder and select "Send To" the option of "Desktop (Create a Shortcut)" is missing. Windows 7 upgrade from Vista

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-08T14:30:32+00:00

Hey driver1275,

Here’s how you can restore the missing item.

To restore the item, follow these steps:

1.     Click Start , type the following path and press Enter :

C:\Users\default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

2.     Copy the file Desktop (create shortcut) from the Default user folder and place a copy in your user profile SendTo folder.

3.     The SendTo folder of your user profile can be accessed by typing shell:sendto in the Start-search box.

That should do the trick.


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-29T20:36:55+00:00

    Pin to start.

    Open start.

    Select item.

    Drag to desktop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-19T17:41:15+00:00

    I HAVE UPGRADED FROM WINDOWS 7 TO WINDOWS 10???. NOW "SEND TO DESKTOP" IS MISSING. I DO A LOT OF SHOPPING ON LINE, BEFORE WHEN I WOULD FIND SOME THING I POSSIBLY WANTED TO BUY I SENT IT TO DESKTOP FOR LATER REVIEW, NOW I CAN'T--IT WAS VERY SIMPLE,NOW IT'S PAIN IN THE A**.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-22T16:20:44+00:00

    Worked wonderfully, thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-08T22:31:16+00:00

    Thanks Shinmila,

    Excellent instructions resulted in fast fix!  Any thoughts as to how we lost the "send to desktop" option in the first place?

    Craig D.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments