send to desktop as shortcut missing

Anonymous
2010-04-07T18:58:45+00:00

When I right click a file or folder and select "Send To" the option of "Desktop (Create a Shortcut)" is missing. Windows 7 upgrade from Vista

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-08T14:30:32+00:00

Hey driver1275,

Here’s how you can restore the missing item.

To restore the item, follow these steps:

1.     Click Start , type the following path and press Enter :

C:\Users\default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

2.     Copy the file Desktop (create shortcut) from the Default user folder and place a copy in your user profile SendTo folder.

3.     The SendTo folder of your user profile can be accessed by typing shell:sendto in the Start-search box.

That should do the trick.


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-02T10:33:04+00:00

    Thanks mglassbob - that worked a charm.  I too had the "missing file"  already in the specified folder, so it was frustrating trying to find a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-15T12:35:56+00:00

    I have lost the ability to created a desktop shortcut as an option when I right click a file.  The answers to fixing this do not seem to work in Windows 10.  Is there another method to restore this option?  Thanks!!

    I HAVE TRYED FOR 3 MOUTHES TO FIX THIS PROBLEM. I THINK THE PROBLEM STARTS WITH MICROSOFT EDGE-(NOTE) I HAVE PAID 4 PEOPLE TO TRY AND FIX THIS PROBLEM.!!!! I USED THE SHORT CUT FEATURE ALOT WHEN SHOPPING ONLINE. I THINK I WILL GO BACK TO WINDOW 7 PRO OR LINIX?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-14T18:20:21+00:00

    I have lost the ability to created a desktop shortcut as an option when I right click a file.  The answers to fixing this do not seem to work in Windows 10.  Is there another method to restore this option?  Thanks!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-04T22:40:01+00:00

    I do not like Windows 10 at all, it is not user friendly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments