0x80042302 on system restore..

Anonymous
2010-02-24T05:46:54+00:00

I am having some problems with my laptop Windows 7 Home Premium pc. It has been working fine until my mouse pad stopped working properly, I tried to do several times a system restore and it finally worked. 

My Norton Antivirus expired and I removed it from my computer using Revo Uninstaller, the next time I booted my laptop, my wireless connection was off. I checked in Device Manager only to find out that there were 'warning' triangles in the network adapters and in all of my Universal Serial Bus Controllers. I fixed that by disabling everyone of them, and enabling them again. 

I installed a Windows Update, and after the install my laptop started acting weird. I cant listen to my music since it doesnt let me open it, I cant open my pictures, I cant  watch videos on youtube; no sound comes out at all, and it Im not able to even open the properties in my computer. I tried to do a system restore but it gave me the error above (0x80042302) saying " A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application event log for more information."

I tried with an antivirus to see if it might have something to do, but it didnt find any.. Any ideas on what might be wrong?.. 

Thanks..

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-06-29T21:11:04+00:00

Try checking all your services.search on start search  services.msc 

I had this problem too,had no audio, the error code in system restore and couldn't connect to the Internet .all my services was disabled so I changed them all to automatic and it worked like a dream. Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-21T04:30:23+00:00

    Thank you.I found it this way and reset it to Automatic, as it was indeed disabled. I will give it a whirl when I next need to do a system restore and let you know. I don't need to do one right now so there's no point in doing it for nothing...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-18T07:58:36+00:00

    Thanks....

    Was solution to my problem...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-14T00:49:14+00:00

    I am having the same problem I get the 0x80042302 shadow volume thing. But i dont have a restore point on this computer yet. Is there anything i can do. It will not let me back up anything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-03T11:01:38+00:00

    I had the same problem. Easy fix for me was to go to start menu search. Type 'msconfig' then when that opens go to 'services' tab and click 'enable all' as I believe they should be enabled. Mine had all been disabled. Had all the same errors with system restore and no sound or anything same as everyone else and this worked a treat. Hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments