0x80042302 on system restore..

Anonymous
2010-02-24T05:46:54+00:00

I am having some problems with my laptop Windows 7 Home Premium pc. It has been working fine until my mouse pad stopped working properly, I tried to do several times a system restore and it finally worked. 

My Norton Antivirus expired and I removed it from my computer using Revo Uninstaller, the next time I booted my laptop, my wireless connection was off. I checked in Device Manager only to find out that there were 'warning' triangles in the network adapters and in all of my Universal Serial Bus Controllers. I fixed that by disabling everyone of them, and enabling them again. 

I installed a Windows Update, and after the install my laptop started acting weird. I cant listen to my music since it doesnt let me open it, I cant open my pictures, I cant  watch videos on youtube; no sound comes out at all, and it Im not able to even open the properties in my computer. I tried to do a system restore but it gave me the error above (0x80042302) saying " A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application event log for more information."

I tried with an antivirus to see if it might have something to do, but it didnt find any.. Any ideas on what might be wrong?.. 

Thanks..

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-06-29T21:11:04+00:00

Try checking all your services.search on start search  services.msc 

I had this problem too,had no audio, the error code in system restore and couldn't connect to the Internet .all my services was disabled so I changed them all to automatic and it worked like a dream. Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-01-28T22:47:03+00:00

    Hi guys! I have the exact same problem. Google earth was crashing at the same point all the time and I uninstalled it using revo and after that I wasn't able to install updates, I got an error and the solution was to start BITS but when I tried to, I got another error and after trying a lot of useless things I decided to restore, only to find out that I couldn't. And I tried system restore through revo but my revo doesn't have that option under windows tools. I tried uninstalling something and I got the message I always get with revo, but it said creating restore point - FAILED and it proceeded with the rest of the procedure.

    Is there anything else I can do except reinstalling windows?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-02T10:37:53+00:00

    I had the exact problems listed on this thread, in fact, I wrote down below.  But after reading another board, I saw a guy's comment about using Revo Uninstaller's System Restore process and tried it, and it worked.  Revo must keep their own System Restores separate from the main System Restore files.  Go back to Revo, use "Windows Tools", and use the System Restore there.  I used the latest one, and everything came back.  Hurray!  I hope this helps someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-12-02T09:50:09+00:00

    No, it did not work...I got the error message "Volume information for this disk cannot be found" when I tried to populate the volumes of my disk through Device Manager.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-12-02T08:50:30+00:00

    Did anyone ever figure out what caused this or what to do?  I am in the exact same boat as Jorge this week, and your description of symptoms sounds exactly like mine (no sound, no system restore, same error messages).  After trying every type of repair/restore, I'm ready to reinstall tomorrow.  I've got all my files backed up but I'm not looking forward to reinstalling all my programs.  Is it something with Revo?  I had just uninstalled a program too, and I'm always careful with what I delete, but it seems to be the common link with these complaints.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments