0x80042302 on system restore..

Anonymous
2010-02-24T05:46:54+00:00

I am having some problems with my laptop Windows 7 Home Premium pc. It has been working fine until my mouse pad stopped working properly, I tried to do several times a system restore and it finally worked. 

My Norton Antivirus expired and I removed it from my computer using Revo Uninstaller, the next time I booted my laptop, my wireless connection was off. I checked in Device Manager only to find out that there were 'warning' triangles in the network adapters and in all of my Universal Serial Bus Controllers. I fixed that by disabling everyone of them, and enabling them again. 

I installed a Windows Update, and after the install my laptop started acting weird. I cant listen to my music since it doesnt let me open it, I cant open my pictures, I cant  watch videos on youtube; no sound comes out at all, and it Im not able to even open the properties in my computer. I tried to do a system restore but it gave me the error above (0x80042302) saying " A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application event log for more information."

I tried with an antivirus to see if it might have something to do, but it didnt find any.. Any ideas on what might be wrong?.. 

Thanks..

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-06-29T21:11:04+00:00

Try checking all your services.search on start search  services.msc 

I had this problem too,had no audio, the error code in system restore and couldn't connect to the Internet .all my services was disabled so I changed them all to automatic and it worked like a dream. Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-02-26T01:11:15+00:00

    Try checking all your services.search on start search  services.msc 

    I had this problem too,had no audio, the error code in system restore and couldn't connect to the Internet .all my services was disabled so I changed them all to automatic and it worked like a dream. Hope this helps.

    THANK YOU SO MUCH

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-30T06:01:32+00:00

    I just wanted to say thank you so much for your tip. I got everything back the way it was before the Windows 8.1 update. You are a true blessing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-30T06:01:19+00:00

    I just wanted to say thank you so much for your tip. I got everything back the way it was before the Windows 8.1 update. You are a true blessing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-05-17T23:14:53+00:00

    I too have been having the same problem with no results even though I set Volume Shadow Copy to automatic and set SPP Notifiction Service to automatic the problem persisted. So I went back to "Services" and discovered a service called "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider", started it and set it to automatic and IT WORKS!! I can now backup my computer. I hope this helps at least one person out there.

    My laptop just went thru this yesterday, and I have yet to try and clear it up.

    But my major question is "WHY DID IT OCCUR??". Could it have anything to do with turning off some Microsoft AUTOMATIC updates?

    I had just read recently that Microsoft was sneaking there Windows 10 sales efforts into our computers without notifying use it was doing so. I was tired of that darn Win 10 pop-up window constantly appearing, AND I had read that there was a significantly LARGE file loaded on to everyones computer to prepare them for that upgrade. I felt that large file was slowing down my computer's booting, and sought to get rid of it and Microsoft's continuing effort to reload it (automatically).

    So that's my question? When I turned off one of those 'automatic updates' from them, did that precipitate this current problem that appears to be cured by turning everything back to 'automatic'??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments