0x80042302 on system restore..

Anonymous
2010-02-24T05:46:54+00:00

I am having some problems with my laptop Windows 7 Home Premium pc. It has been working fine until my mouse pad stopped working properly, I tried to do several times a system restore and it finally worked. 

My Norton Antivirus expired and I removed it from my computer using Revo Uninstaller, the next time I booted my laptop, my wireless connection was off. I checked in Device Manager only to find out that there were 'warning' triangles in the network adapters and in all of my Universal Serial Bus Controllers. I fixed that by disabling everyone of them, and enabling them again. 

I installed a Windows Update, and after the install my laptop started acting weird. I cant listen to my music since it doesnt let me open it, I cant open my pictures, I cant  watch videos on youtube; no sound comes out at all, and it Im not able to even open the properties in my computer. I tried to do a system restore but it gave me the error above (0x80042302) saying " A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application event log for more information."

I tried with an antivirus to see if it might have something to do, but it didnt find any.. Any ideas on what might be wrong?.. 

Thanks..

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-06-29T21:11:04+00:00

Try checking all your services.search on start search  services.msc 

I had this problem too,had no audio, the error code in system restore and couldn't connect to the Internet .all my services was disabled so I changed them all to automatic and it worked like a dream. Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-05-26T08:07:07+00:00

    Hey Larryed,

    Follow the recovery options that I previously listed above to recover your system, this will work, re-installing Windows 7 after is advised but may not be necessary if you want important files

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-05-15T01:13:07+00:00

    this thread is useless if the hard disks cant be populated which mine couldnt. re-installation is stupidly almost impossible without the system being restored first but even with system restore not working while you are logged in normally, system restore can still be used.

    X - press F8 to enter the recovery options while just after switching on

    X - select the "repair your computer" option

    X - obviously choose your keyboard layout and log in as you normally would

    X - then select system restore to restore your system

    X - additionally it may tell you after a short while that the restore hasn't worked but repeat this again using a different restore point if one is available, otherwise there is the option to scan the image too for any errors

    shortly after you can continue on using the backdated restore point or your could re-install windows again to make sure

    thanks all, hope this helps :D

    • Steven

    P.S the thread refers to dena's referral about the re-installation, its useful for those who are not in as deep a problem but doesnt initially help those who worse off, eg no internet connection, unable to install or un-install, no access to vital functions like control panel or windows update...and so on

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-02T14:09:46+00:00

    Hi Jorge C,

    Try completing the steps in this thread outlined by Dale Qiao.  Let us know if this works.


    Dena

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-03-25T17:07:11+00:00

    Hi Jorge C.,

    Have you reinstalled Windows 7?  Let us know if you are still having the same issue with System Restore.


    Dena

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments