0x80042302 on system restore..

Anonymous
2010-02-24T05:46:54+00:00

I am having some problems with my laptop Windows 7 Home Premium pc. It has been working fine until my mouse pad stopped working properly, I tried to do several times a system restore and it finally worked. 

My Norton Antivirus expired and I removed it from my computer using Revo Uninstaller, the next time I booted my laptop, my wireless connection was off. I checked in Device Manager only to find out that there were 'warning' triangles in the network adapters and in all of my Universal Serial Bus Controllers. I fixed that by disabling everyone of them, and enabling them again. 

I installed a Windows Update, and after the install my laptop started acting weird. I cant listen to my music since it doesnt let me open it, I cant open my pictures, I cant  watch videos on youtube; no sound comes out at all, and it Im not able to even open the properties in my computer. I tried to do a system restore but it gave me the error above (0x80042302) saying " A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application event log for more information."

I tried with an antivirus to see if it might have something to do, but it didnt find any.. Any ideas on what might be wrong?.. 

Thanks..

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-06-29T21:11:04+00:00

Try checking all your services.search on start search  services.msc 

I had this problem too,had no audio, the error code in system restore and couldn't connect to the Internet .all my services was disabled so I changed them all to automatic and it worked like a dream. Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-03T10:30:46+00:00

    Search on my windows 10 isn't working as well. I have no way to find services.msc. Please help... :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-21T04:30:23+00:00

    Thank you.I found it this way and reset it to Automatic, as it was indeed disabled. I will give it a whirl when I next need to do a system restore and let you know. I don't need to do one right now so there's no point in doing it for nothing...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-03-23T23:10:07+00:00

    Yes, im not able to listen to any audio either.. ill try to just reinstall windows 7...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-03-21T09:08:09+00:00

    Afzal, thanks for the help, as i'm having the same problem (including no audio), amongst others, though i can open audio files, but nothing happens, same with videos - i can open them and see the pictures, but get no audio, as well as a  faiuled to play test toneerror on the sounds option on control panel when i try to check out sounds.

     when i go to services.msc, i cannot find the system restore service. 

    also when i enter sfc/scannow into the cmd window i get the following prompt:windows resource protection could not start the repair service

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments