0x80042302 on system restore..

Anonymous
2010-02-24T05:46:54+00:00

I am having some problems with my laptop Windows 7 Home Premium pc. It has been working fine until my mouse pad stopped working properly, I tried to do several times a system restore and it finally worked. 

My Norton Antivirus expired and I removed it from my computer using Revo Uninstaller, the next time I booted my laptop, my wireless connection was off. I checked in Device Manager only to find out that there were 'warning' triangles in the network adapters and in all of my Universal Serial Bus Controllers. I fixed that by disabling everyone of them, and enabling them again. 

I installed a Windows Update, and after the install my laptop started acting weird. I cant listen to my music since it doesnt let me open it, I cant open my pictures, I cant  watch videos on youtube; no sound comes out at all, and it Im not able to even open the properties in my computer. I tried to do a system restore but it gave me the error above (0x80042302) saying " A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application event log for more information."

I tried with an antivirus to see if it might have something to do, but it didnt find any.. Any ideas on what might be wrong?.. 

Thanks..

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-06-29T21:11:04+00:00

Try checking all your services.search on start search  services.msc 

I had this problem too,had no audio, the error code in system restore and couldn't connect to the Internet .all my services was disabled so I changed them all to automatic and it worked like a dream. Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-01T04:11:29+00:00

    Hi Afzal, first thank you for your help. I made the service " Volume Shadow Copy" to be running and set it on Automatic. The service System Restore did not appear on the list. Which means I still can not do a system restore. About Norton, they do not offer the Norton Removal Tool anymore. My laptop works fine on safe mode. I did the clean boot but the problem still persists. When i opened up the command line and typed sfc /scannow, I got this message; "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service". 

    Thank you very much for your help, but is there anything else that you might think could help me solve the problem? Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-05-25T17:47:02+00:00

    OK, I have the nearly identictal issue after an uninstall using revo, where my network icon shows i am disconnected, but I am in fact connected.  Also, I cannot re-install win7 and I cannot get to a restore point.  All error messages have been tried with restarting shadow services and net awareness, but with no results.  I tried a safe start and a cold boot, but  no change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-03-03T03:01:00+00:00

    Also, and I know I should have said this before, but I am not able to receive any sound from my laptop, I can not open any files (music, pictures etc).

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-25T04:44:02+00:00

    Hi,

    Check whether Volume Shadow Copy Service, System Restore Service is started and Set to Automatic

    1. Type Services.msc in Start Menu search box, hit Enter.
    2. Make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy Service is Running and set on Automatic.
    3. If the Status of System Restore Service is not Started, Start it. Also set it on Automatic if it is not.
    4. restart your computer.

    Now try to do a system restore.

    You may also download the Norton removal tool and completely remove all the components of Norton. Check if that helps.

    Check how the computer works in safe mode.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

    If the computer works fine in safe mode, then do a clean boot.

    Refer this KB article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

    Also, run System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to make sure system files are intact and to replace the file. Follow these steps:

    1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue

    1. At the command prompt, the following line, and then press ENTER:

    sfc /scannow

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

    Regards,

    Afzal-Microsoft Support.

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments