PDF thumbnails not showing up in folders

Anonymous
2009-12-22T21:17:35+00:00

I just loaded Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Folders only show thumbnails for JPGs and not PDFs. In past, when I had 32-bit Vista, the thumbnails showed up for PDFs. All view settings are correct. Hidden files, file extensions boxes, etc. Box to always show thumbnails and not icons.

I have disabled user accounts and all security, but, all I get for PDFs is the icon for Adobe Reader 9.2. It won't show a thumbnail. In same folder, all JPGs show up. I really miss this feature which worked in XP and Vista 32-bit. What is going on??

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-23T20:10:56+00:00

Hi Ben9000,

Welcome to Microsoft answers!

This symptom occur because a 64-bit process that runs on a computer that is running an x64-based version of Windows cannot load the 32-bit .dll files that are required by some program features.

You may try the following work around:

You must use the 32-bit version of Windows Explorer. The 32-bit version of Windows Explorer is located in the %windir%\Syswow64 folder on the computer that is running an x64-based version of Windows.

To use the 32-bit version of Windows Explorer, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type the following in the Open box, and then click OK:

Drive_Letter :\windows\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate

Note The placeholder Drive_Letter represents the drive where the x64-based version of Windows is installed.

For more information:

Some Windows Explorer extensions and some Control Panel items are not displayed on computers that are running an x64-based version of Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895561#appliesto

Now check if the issue is resolved.

You may want to try the following steps:

PDF thumbnail view via the Acrobat reader:

  1. Run Acrobat Reader. In Reader, click File > Open and navigate to the folder(s) containing your PDF file(s). If necessary, move the slider to show all your PDF files.
  2. Cancel out of Open and exit Reader.
  3. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folders(s) containing your PDF file(s).
  4. Click Views and move the slider until you see PDF thumbnails.

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-05-24T14:55:35+00:00

    There is a better fix than the one Ajay K explains, as it allows us to keep using the 64-bit Explorer. 

    For the ones in a rush there is an application that fixes it: http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix. I'm not that guy but I'm very thankful to him.

    I did not write it but have used it for quite a while without issues.  I have to re-apply the fix every once in a while after I mess around with codecs.

    The patcher is intended for Windows 7 - 64 bit only. It fixes:

    a) Preview (on the preview pane); and

    b) Thumbnails.

    He explains that he wrote a small piece of code that allows Explorer-64 bit to call the 32-bit preview handler.  On that page, there is a lot of technical details on the issue and the fixes.

    I have used it for over a year and have yet to see a single crash, so I believe it's quite reliable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-05-08T17:37:18+00:00

    I have been looking for this for days!  Hugs and kisses to you Ajay K.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-21T13:41:45+00:00

    thank you Ajay K. it works in windows 7 .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-02-29T16:07:24+00:00

    Hey Jamesx7,

    Because this thread was started by another person and because of the threads age, I suggest you follow the link below to start your own thread.

    Asking your own question helps the community help you specifically with your issue. Remember to include all the details (your version of windows, specs of your system, any error codes etc...) that you can when you start your own thread.

    New Thread Link Here

    Thanks for Posting to Microsoft Answers Jamesx7!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments