PDF thumbnails not showing up in folders

Anonymous
2009-12-22T21:17:35+00:00

I just loaded Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Folders only show thumbnails for JPGs and not PDFs. In past, when I had 32-bit Vista, the thumbnails showed up for PDFs. All view settings are correct. Hidden files, file extensions boxes, etc. Box to always show thumbnails and not icons.

I have disabled user accounts and all security, but, all I get for PDFs is the icon for Adobe Reader 9.2. It won't show a thumbnail. In same folder, all JPGs show up. I really miss this feature which worked in XP and Vista 32-bit. What is going on??

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-23T20:10:56+00:00

Hi Ben9000,

Welcome to Microsoft answers!

This symptom occur because a 64-bit process that runs on a computer that is running an x64-based version of Windows cannot load the 32-bit .dll files that are required by some program features.

You may try the following work around:

You must use the 32-bit version of Windows Explorer. The 32-bit version of Windows Explorer is located in the %windir%\Syswow64 folder on the computer that is running an x64-based version of Windows.

To use the 32-bit version of Windows Explorer, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type the following in the Open box, and then click OK:

Drive_Letter :\windows\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate

Note The placeholder Drive_Letter represents the drive where the x64-based version of Windows is installed.

For more information:

Some Windows Explorer extensions and some Control Panel items are not displayed on computers that are running an x64-based version of Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895561#appliesto

Now check if the issue is resolved.

You may want to try the following steps:

PDF thumbnail view via the Acrobat reader:

  1. Run Acrobat Reader. In Reader, click File > Open and navigate to the folder(s) containing your PDF file(s). If necessary, move the slider to show all your PDF files.
  2. Cancel out of Open and exit Reader.
  3. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folders(s) containing your PDF file(s).
  4. Click Views and move the slider until you see PDF thumbnails.

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-26T10:42:15+00:00

    BUT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION DIRECTLY:

    I use Acrobat 9. When I do the File --> Open, what do you mean by "Navigate to the folder containing my pdfs"?

    i NAVIGATE TO THE FOLDER FROM ACROBAT

      Is there a specific folder you mean? Is it any folder that has PDFs in it? I don't know how many of my folders have pdfs; my guess is that over 6 TB of hard drive space, there may be 500-800 MB of PDF files -- maybe more. Using this procedure is just impractical for my purposes, if I have to repeat it on all of my folders with PDFs in them.

    IM RUNNING 64 BIT WIN 7. NOT SURE IF IT HAS ANY ISSUES.

    ACROBAT WILL PRODUCE THUMBNAILS IF YOU OPEN A FILE FROM A DIRECTORY USING ACROBAT FILE OPEN-> (SELECT THUMNAIL VIEW) ALL ICONS CHANGE TO THUMBS, THEN FROM EXPLORER THE THUMBS ARE VIEWABLE. I JUST DID WHAT 'AJAY K' DID.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-26T07:35:06+00:00

    Hi Arrrrrrrgggghhhh (sorry if i have mispelled your name)

    I tend to pdf files in certain folders (i call it my months system - each month has a set of directories each directory has pdfs etc. i refer to these pdfs quite regularly and it is easier to see a thumbnail than icon. so the first time i want to see 'the' pdfs in any of the directories, i must preview them in the folder with acrobat using thumnail version. You can actually see acrobat creating the pdf thumbs. when i then return to the folder containing the pdfs...... well....ta dah!....it works for me.!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-18T01:15:36+00:00

    Micky, can you clarify something that has been confusing me about this procedure?

    I use Acrobat 9.  When I do the File --> Open, what do you mean by "Navigate to the folder containing my pdfs"?  Is there a specific folder you mean?  Is it any folder that has PDFs in it?  I don't know how many of my folders have pdfs; my guess is that over 6 TB of hard drive space, there may be 500-800 MB of PDF files -- maybe more.  Using this procedure is just impractical for my purposes, if I have to repeat it on all of my folders with PDFs in them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-06-13T15:43:17+00:00

    After hours of researching this problem, this is the easiest fix that I've come across yet: In your Start Menu choose -

    Default Programs

     - Associate a file type or protocol with a program

    • After list populates choose .pdf and then click on Change program button
    • The recommended program should already be on Acrobat or Reader like it should be
    • Click OK

    After I did these steps the ability to generate thumbnails came back.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments