PDF thumbnails not showing up in folders

Anonymous
2009-12-22T21:17:35+00:00

I just loaded Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Folders only show thumbnails for JPGs and not PDFs. In past, when I had 32-bit Vista, the thumbnails showed up for PDFs. All view settings are correct. Hidden files, file extensions boxes, etc. Box to always show thumbnails and not icons.

I have disabled user accounts and all security, but, all I get for PDFs is the icon for Adobe Reader 9.2. It won't show a thumbnail. In same folder, all JPGs show up. I really miss this feature which worked in XP and Vista 32-bit. What is going on??

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-23T20:10:56+00:00

Hi Ben9000,

Welcome to Microsoft answers!

This symptom occur because a 64-bit process that runs on a computer that is running an x64-based version of Windows cannot load the 32-bit .dll files that are required by some program features.

You may try the following work around:

You must use the 32-bit version of Windows Explorer. The 32-bit version of Windows Explorer is located in the %windir%\Syswow64 folder on the computer that is running an x64-based version of Windows.

To use the 32-bit version of Windows Explorer, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type the following in the Open box, and then click OK:

Drive_Letter :\windows\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate

Note The placeholder Drive_Letter represents the drive where the x64-based version of Windows is installed.

For more information:

Some Windows Explorer extensions and some Control Panel items are not displayed on computers that are running an x64-based version of Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895561#appliesto

Now check if the issue is resolved.

You may want to try the following steps:

PDF thumbnail view via the Acrobat reader:

  1. Run Acrobat Reader. In Reader, click File > Open and navigate to the folder(s) containing your PDF file(s). If necessary, move the slider to show all your PDF files.
  2. Cancel out of Open and exit Reader.
  3. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folders(s) containing your PDF file(s).
  4. Click Views and move the slider until you see PDF thumbnails.

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-29T07:30:46+00:00

    SIMPLE SOLUTION FOR ME>>>>right click pdf file, at top of pop up it says "OPEN" or "OPEN WITH", click that and make sure file opens with "Adobe Acrobat".  Once you do this with one pdg file, it does it with all..select a few folders and do the same.  I did this and saw all pdf files automatically begin to display thumbnails.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-18T04:34:47+00:00

    so useful workaround....thanks!! :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-20T02:03:03+00:00

    Ah, what is that supposed to do? My Explorer window, with the PDF files, looks exactly the same as the "Open" folder in Adobe Reader.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-20T01:56:38+00:00

    My problem is with Adobe Reader/Acrobat files folder.

    "Drive_Letter **:\windows\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate"**is non existent in my system. I have as far as "Syswow64, but I have only an "explorer" application. Clicking it merely opens an explorer window.

    I can take those same files and open them from another system, a Windows 8.1 system, on my network, and every thumbnail opens perfectly. I have the "Fixes for X64 Adobe Reader preview handler/thumbnails application on both systems. The Windows 7 system shows some thumbnails, and doesn't show others.

    Is there another solution that may assist me?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments