PDF thumbnails not showing up in folders

Anonymous
2009-12-22T21:17:35+00:00

I just loaded Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Folders only show thumbnails for JPGs and not PDFs. In past, when I had 32-bit Vista, the thumbnails showed up for PDFs. All view settings are correct. Hidden files, file extensions boxes, etc. Box to always show thumbnails and not icons.

I have disabled user accounts and all security, but, all I get for PDFs is the icon for Adobe Reader 9.2. It won't show a thumbnail. In same folder, all JPGs show up. I really miss this feature which worked in XP and Vista 32-bit. What is going on??

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-23T20:10:56+00:00

Hi Ben9000,

Welcome to Microsoft answers!

This symptom occur because a 64-bit process that runs on a computer that is running an x64-based version of Windows cannot load the 32-bit .dll files that are required by some program features.

You may try the following work around:

You must use the 32-bit version of Windows Explorer. The 32-bit version of Windows Explorer is located in the %windir%\Syswow64 folder on the computer that is running an x64-based version of Windows.

To use the 32-bit version of Windows Explorer, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type the following in the Open box, and then click OK:

Drive_Letter :\windows\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate

Note The placeholder Drive_Letter represents the drive where the x64-based version of Windows is installed.

For more information:

Some Windows Explorer extensions and some Control Panel items are not displayed on computers that are running an x64-based version of Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895561#appliesto

Now check if the issue is resolved.

You may want to try the following steps:

PDF thumbnail view via the Acrobat reader:

  1. Run Acrobat Reader. In Reader, click File > Open and navigate to the folder(s) containing your PDF file(s). If necessary, move the slider to show all your PDF files.
  2. Cancel out of Open and exit Reader.
  3. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folders(s) containing your PDF file(s).
  4. Click Views and move the slider until you see PDF thumbnails.

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-13T05:07:53+00:00

    Adobe finally released a fix 2016 May 10

    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1812515

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-12T14:02:06+00:00

    I'll just stick with FoxIT.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-01T05:12:59+00:00

    If the problem is in Windows, why does the FoxIt Reader show the thumbnails? And too, I only got this problem when I updated to one of the Adobe Reader 10.XX updates, and it has been rampant every since. Whatever you have found on your systems, I respect. But the crux of my problems have been consolidated to Adobe.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments