BSOD's on Wdf01000.sys Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Anonymous
2009-12-23T02:57:17+00:00

G'day, I am getting random blue screens every couple of hours. no particular pattern to it. more occur when bubbles screensaver is running, but many occur typically just after I have clicked on something in ie8, windows explorer or Microsoft Word.

I have run memtest v4 overnight, no errors. sfc /scannow, no errors. Also updated every possible driver particularly including mouse and keyboard as this seems to be a related driver.

The problem started about 3-4 weeks ago, although I have run CCleaner so only have the 22 minidumps from the last week. BlueScreenView has Wdf01000.sys as the main culprit for all but 5 which it blames dxgmms1.sys for. In all but 2 it also adds ntoskrnl.exe to the dud list. Also dxgkrnl.sys is added as part of the failure causes once.

This is a QX9650 Core2 3GHz quad running on an ASUS Maximus Extreme (BIOS AMI 1302) with 2x2Gb 1600DDR3 Corsair memory sticks and an MSI ATI HD3870x2-1Gb graphics card. HID is a Logitech wave Y-UV90 and a Razer Copperhead 2000dpi laser mouse. Also a Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000. This is in a CoolerMaster Stacker 832 case with a 1kWSilverstone ST1000 supply. Viewsonic VP912b and VX2233WM monitors on digital connections.

Can you give me a clue what to do next? I am thinking ditching the board for a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-Extreme could be a good step to any answer (and have ordered it). The ASUS board has ridiculous issues trying to populate all 4 ddr3 slots, but I have discovered this over time and had been running rock solid for some months with just the two sticks in. I don't overclock anything as I am only looking for fast and reliable and am happy to accept whatever the manufacturers were thinking was good at the time, without needing to go pushing things. Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-31T06:01:19+00:00

I have installed the new board, a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-Extreme. Put back the ser2at64.sys 3.3.7.131 driver. After about an hour got a bsod. Put back the old version driver then problem went away as per before. So I am thinking that says the new driver is faulty. The only thing I can see that "might" be different on my set-up is the ATEN UC232A device is plugged into a Swann USB 2.0 4 port powered hub. It has SW-U-4ph20 on it. The problem is solved as far as I am concerned. If anyone wants to do more diagnostic work on this please email me vsunter followed by an at calsun dot and a com and an au with a dot before as the reply notifications of responses from this board don't get through, which is a very rare event in my experience.

The Gigabyte board has a com port termination on it. When silly season ends I will get the plug to terminate this in the case and put the ATEN device out to pasture. I am, working my way through the device software updates above, limited to two a day, plus memory delays! Happy New Year!!!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-25T01:27:40+00:00

Merry Christmas to you too.

From the "Hardware Ids" the driver for the ATEN USB to Serial device was installed via Windows Update.

You can see the driver package here (you have to install the ActiveX control to see):

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=USB%5CVID_0557%26PID_2008%20windows%207

It's Version 3.3.7.131 dated October 15, 2009.

The driver is listed as compatible with Windows 7 x64/x86.

The driver should work but is having issues in your setup.

In the Device Manager, for the ATEN device, under the "Driver tab" is there an option to "roll back" the driver?

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-24T04:06:06+00:00

Many of the minidump files, analyzed with WinDbg of the Debugging Tools for Windows, referenced the ser2at64.sys as causing the BSODs such as

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M and DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

So the ser2at64.sys is having an issue on your system.

If you check the "STACK_TEXT" field of one the crashes you can see the ser2at64.sys is accessing and probably corrupting memory ahead of the  Wdf01000.sys:

*******************************************************************************

*                                                                             *

*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

*                                                                             *

*******************************************************************************

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff88000e62946}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ser2at64.sys, Win32 error 0n2

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ser2at64.sys

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ser2at64.sys

Probably caused by : ser2at64.sys ( ser2at64+99b7 )

Followup: MachineOwner


2: kd> !analyze -v

*******************************************************************************

*                                                                             *

*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

*                                                                             *

*******************************************************************************

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)

An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an

interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is usually

caused by drivers using improper addresses.

If kernel debugger is available get stack backtrace.

Arguments:

Arg1: 0000000000000008, memory referenced

Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL

Arg3: 0000000000000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation

Arg4: fffff88000e62946, address which referenced memory

Debugging Details:


READ_ADDRESS: GetPointerFromAddress: unable to read from fffff800032c30e0

 0000000000000008

CURRENT_IRQL:  2

FAULTING_IP:

Wdf01000!imp_WdfObjectGetTypedContextWorker+1e

fffff880`00e62946 4c8b5110        mov     r10,qword ptr [rcx+10h]

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR:  0xD1

PROCESS_NAME:  heavy weather.

TRAP_FRAME:  fffff88003192be0 -- (.trap 0xfffff88003192be0)

NOTE: The trap frame does not contain all registers.

Some register values may be zeroed or incorrect.

rax=0000000000000000 rbx=0000000000000000 rcx=fffffffffffffff8

rdx=0000000000000000 rsi=0000000000000000 rdi=0000000000000000

rip=fffff88000e62946 rsp=fffff88003192d70 rbp=fffff88003192e88

 r8=fffff88004c47190  r9=0000057ffac47101 r10=fffffa80053b8e88

r11=00000000c0000120 r12=0000000000000000 r13=0000000000000000

r14=0000000000000000 r15=0000000000000000

iopl=0         nv up ei pl zr na po nc

Wdf01000!imp_WdfObjectGetTypedContextWorker+0x1e:

fffff88000e62946 4c8b5110        mov     r10,qword ptr [rcx+10h] ds:0000000000000008=????????????????

Resetting default scope

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from fffff8000308c469 to fffff8000308cf00

STACK_TEXT: 

fffff88003192a98 fffff8000308c469 : 000000000000000a 0000000000000008 0000000000000002 0000000000000000 : nt!KeBugCheckEx

fffff88003192aa0 fffff8000308b0e0 : 00000000000007ff fffffa80053b8fb0 fffffa800808ba40 fffffa8004c86b30 : nt!KiBugCheckDispatch+0x69

fffff88003192be0 fffff88000e62946 : 0000000000000002 0000057ffa2a0468 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 : nt!KiPageFault+0x260

fffff88003192d70 fffff88004c3b9b7 : 0000057ffac471d8 0000057ffac471d8 0000000000000001 0000057ffac47101 : Wdf01000!imp_WdfObjectGetTypedContextWorker+0x1e

fffff88003192dc0 0000057ffac471d8 : 0000057ffac471d8 0000000000000001 0000057ffac47101 fffffa8005d82c60 : ser2at64+0x99b7

fffff88003192dc8 0000057ffac471d8 : 0000000000000001 0000057ffac47101 fffffa8005d82c60 fffff88004c39f65 : 0x57f`fac471d8

fffff88003192dd0 0000000000000001 : 0000057ffac47101 fffffa8005d82c60 fffff88004c39f65 0000000075982450 : 0x57f`fac471d8

fffff88003192dd8 0000057ffac47101 : fffffa8005d82c60 fffff88004c39f65 0000000075982450 0000000000000022 : 0x1

fffff88003192de0 fffffa8005d82c60 : fffff88004c39f65 0000000075982450 0000000000000022 0000000000000001 : 0x57f`fac47101

fffff88003192de8 fffff88004c39f65 : 0000000075982450 0000000000000022 0000000000000001 0000000000000000 : 0xfffffa80`05d82c60

fffff88003192df0 0000000075982450 : 0000000000000022 0000000000000001 0000000000000000 fffffa8005d82c60 : ser2at64+0x7f65

fffff88003192df8 0000000000000022 : 0000000000000001 0000000000000000 fffffa8005d82c60 fffff88004c39dd5 : 0x75982450

fffff88003192e00 0000000000000001 : 0000000000000000 fffffa8005d82c60 fffff88004c39dd5 fffffa80053b8fb0 : 0x22

fffff88003192e08 0000000000000000 : fffffa8005d82c60 fffff88004c39dd5 fffffa80053b8fb0 0000000000000000 : 0x1

STACK_COMMAND:  kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:

ser2at64+99b7

fffff880`04c3b9b7 ??              ???

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  4

SYMBOL_NAME:  ser2at64+99b7

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: ser2at64

IMAGE_NAME:  ser2at64.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  4ad6e7c6

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0xD1_ser2at64+99b7

BUCKET_ID:  X64_0xD1_ser2at64+99b7

Followup: MachineOwner


I've bolded the  ser2at64.sys and the Wdf01000.sys.

The Wdf01000.sys is getting "blamed" for some of the crashes but it appears the ser2at64.sys is the root of the problem.

The  ser2at64.sys appears to be a USB to Serial port driver and has a timestamp of "Thu Oct 15 05:13:42 2009"

Can you obtain an updated version of this driver or roll back to a previous stable version? 

Also, it is the process "Heavy Weather" that is crashing in many of the BSODs.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-12-24T14:04:33+00:00

    USB\VID_0557&PID_2008&REV_0300

    USB\VID_0557&PID_2008

    Stopping Heavy Weather has stopped the BSOD's, hooray!

    Happy Christmas

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-12-27T00:03:14+00:00

    Ah the joys of family and festive season - savoured and delighted in, happiness and sorrows anew, but all good - such is the rich tapestry of life, wouldn't be dead for

    quids dollars! Hopefully it all went well for you too.

    Anyway, thank you auggy for helping nail this one shut, it very nicely shows the process to go through for intelligent diagnosis to help those of us who have a clue how to play, but no real idea which playground to look in!

    Device manager has allowed me to roll the driver back and it has reverted to version 3.1.0.0 date June 8 2007 which would be the manufacturer's last listed driver. The hardware id's are:

    USB\VID_0557&PID_2008&REV_0300

    USB\VID_0557&PID_2008

    Oh, these are the same! I also noted that the first install date before I rolled it back was Oct 31 2009 2:26am and it is still the same. Closed and reopened Device Mgr, no change. So only the Driver assembly date is changing....?

    The reason I didn't discover the bsod's in October is that I really didn't think the Heavy Weather software (installed with the ATEN COM port mid August this year) that came with the weather station was all that flash. It is in a bunch of separate modules and doesn't do historical tracking all that helpfully - but it does do it. So, on the same day as the ATEN driver software was updated, I happened to install Weather Display software - which is essentially a very good effort by a dedicated amateur. I tried that out from Oct 31 2009 to Nov 17 2009 (according to the data files) before finally accepting there was no way to get datalogged info out via WD so there were gaps in the data as WD only recorded whilst the PC was on. It used the same ATEN connection so the problem must be with how the Heavy Weather software addresses the weather station through the usb to com converter. I reverted to HW as it was quite happy to download the stored historical data for up to I think it is 3 weeks before it gets overwritten. I like to see how much rain we have had plus I want to be able to make an intelligent choice re whether to add a wind generator to our solar grid feed system and a few months of actual data is worth more than any text book!

    I am remembering that, for some reason unclear to me, at first the Heavy Weather software had difficulty "starting" the connection to the weather station, and frequently it lost it for hours on end - which was no problem as it updated itself when it was going again. I would put the ATEN device in different usb ports and change the COM address and eventually get a combination that worked.

    However the weather display software had a much more robust starting regime and obviously the author knew the various problems to overcome with usb to COM ports and I could see on the signal sent trace that it tried various codes before "beating it into life". This all happened fairly quickly, and I don't know if this was about problems or "features" of the interface, but WD always got a connection with no user input. After abandoning WD HW never had the same issues it had before with losing connectivity, but the bsod's started some time, presumably not long, after. I didn't associate these events, figuring I must just have a hardware deterioration situation as all the software had been "in" before and I didn't change a thing! Of course I did the Win 7 update in this period and presumed it was responsible for fixing things, but quite possibly the contrary! I have been trying to find exactly when I put Win 7 on, circumstantial evidence says Nov 8 2009.

    So, now this is posted I will go turn HW back on and see what we get with the old driver....!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments