Windows 7 64bit Very Slow Download Speeds

Anonymous
2010-01-12T16:33:08+00:00

I bought a new top-of-the line HP Pavilion when Win 7 came out - fastest proc they offer, 12GB RAM, Win 7 64bit preloaded.  I've had it about 2 months.  The machine itself is lightning fast - but the internet download speed is molassas slow.  Would be faster to chisel in stone.

My home LAN has the Win7 box, my old HP running Vista (4GB RAM, about 3 years old) and an iMac (4 GB RAM, about a year old).  All 3 machines are connected physically to the router (no wireless connections).  It's a basic and no-frills network - I don't have a webserver, torrents, filesharing or anything like that.  Basic connectivity between machines, and internet access.  That's it.

My ISP is Comcast.

Here are my ul/dl speeds:

          UPLOAD    DOWNLOAD   PING

Win 7   ~3 Mb/s    > 1 Mb/s       88ms

Vista    ~3 Mb/s    20 Mb/s         89ms

iMac    ~3 Mb/s     20 Mb/s        88ms

(this according to speedtest.net)

The upload and download speeds on the old clunker Vista machine and on the iMac are as expected.  The Win 7 box upload is the same as the other machines - the download speed is slooooow.  Less than 1/20th of the Vista box or the iMac.

I also bought a new Linksys WRT210N Gigabit router.  Updated the firmware last night.  Updated the drivers for the Intel NIC in the Win 7 box.  Problem persists.

Rebooted the router & cable model (and the Win 7 box).  Problem persists.

Disabled IPv6, Discovery Mapper - basically everything except IPv4, QoS packet scheduler & file and print sharing.  Problem persists.

Booted into Safe Mode.  Problem persists.

Tried Firefox, Safari, Chrome & IE8 - no noticeable differences.

Disabled Norton A/V, Firewall, Win Defender.  No change.

Swapped the ethernet cable.  No change.

There is only one net device in Device Manager - the Intel 82567V-2  Gigabit NIC.  No conflicts of any sort that I can see.

Ran Windows Update to get the latest stuff - then disabled it.  No change.

Checked all the logs, ran diagnostics, and tried all the "netsh" tweaks I read about.  No change.

So, ultimately, this machine I sunk about $3K into is performing (online) like a snail.  It's almost unuseable, especially since 90% of my job involves online stuff.

I've read dozens - no, hundreds - of similar threads all over the internet, with people reporting the EXACT same conditions - expected upload speed, awful download speed.  So, this is obviously not an isolated problem, and it's not a problem with my ISP, router, modem, NIC, drivers, firewall, A/V or anything else.  It looks like a Win 7 problem - my question is, what is the solution??

Ferris?  Anyone?

Thanks!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-13T15:29:41+00:00

Hi KevinW2112,


I would suggest you to bypass the router and then try connecting to the internet directly and check. There have been instances where the router for Linksys has been an issue for slow download speed.

Also, slow downloads can be caused by any one of the following conditions:

• Poor line quality or excessive line noise 

• Defective filters, telephone line cord, splitters, or inside wiring problems 

• An incorrectly configured digital subscriber line access multiplexer (DSLAM)

• Routing problems from the Internet service provider (ISP) to the Internet

• Problems in transmission from the incumbent local exchange carrier (ILEC) to the ISP (The ILEC is the local phone company.)

You may refer to the link below for assistance on the issue -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/Why-is-my-Internet-connection-so-slow

If you still face the same issue, I would suggest you to contact the Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance on the issue.

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

Thanks,

Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-09-07T10:34:47+00:00

    Yes, I have the same too....after reading all post and try them all still slow

    even can't do the antivirus  & windows update....

    Anyway, I play around with this local area connection (config) on

    link speed & Duplex, setting to Auto Neg still no help

    1. so I decide to use 100 Mps Half Dup, 100 Mbps Full  Dup

    Yes, the download speed up.

    1. Next I put the cascade the switch  with 1GB links and put to Auto Neg

    this solve the probem.

    So Both method 1 & 2 are working.

    This raise the windows BUGS did not negotiation well on 64 Bits machine,

    may be HP drivers need to update their bugs too...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-06T12:34:56+00:00

    Alan,

    I still have the same problem as you and Kevin, one mbps or less when connecting thru wireless.

    My temporary solution has been to connect thru an ethernet cable and activate my local area connection.

    I did not need to do any tweaking as Lawrence suggested. My download speed shoot up to 32 mbps.

    Still interested to find solution to wireless problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-28T15:25:21+00:00

    Thanx Lawrence : this fixed my problem with slow download speed and high upload speed.

    Control Panel--->Network and Internet--->Network Connection--->Local Area Connection (Right click and select Properties)---->Configure-----> Click on Advanced tab-----> Select "Link Speed & Duplex"----->and  select  the "value" to be "auto negotiation".------> OK

    Ain't got no Link Speed & Duplex choice in that drop down. Yet another dead end.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-28T14:37:54+00:00

    Thanx Lawrence : this fixed my problem with slow download speed and high upload speed.

    Control Panel--->Network and Internet--->Network Connection--->Local Area Connection (Right click and select Properties)---->Configure-----> Click on Advanced tab-----> Select "Link Speed & Duplex"----->and  select  the "value" to be "auto negotiation".------> OK

    Control Panel--->Network and Internet.... I see that.

    After that, I do not see the same choices. I see

    Network and Internet/View Network Status and Tasks/Choose Homegroup. or by clicking on Network and Internet I see

    Network and Sharing/HomeGroup/Internet Option

    I'd love to try this solution but cannot follow the fix as written.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments