Stuck shift keys - windows 7 64 bit

Anonymous
2009-12-10T14:34:25+00:00

I've tried turning off all accessibility option. I've tried switching keyboards. I tried hitting shift 5 times, and every other key press combo purported to solve the problem. The only thing that temporarily helps is a reboot, but the problem resurfaces seemingly at random.

Using a Logitech G15 usb keyboard, also tried a microsoft wired ps/2 keyboard. I have installed several programs recently, mostly small apps dealing with overclocking. The cpu was briefly overclocked, then put back to default, I don't think it's the cause of the problem. 

Edit: Also, relogging temporarily fixes the problem as well.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-12T07:04:02+00:00

_________  <--- Was able to do that because the keyboard behaved as though the shift key was always held down. 

Well, I sort of gave up. Rather than figure out what the problem was, I opted to go for a surefire solution. I used windows restore to roll back 36 hours. Problem solved.

I'm convinced it was a problem with overclocking software of some kind.

Anyway. thanks for all your help.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-15T13:26:04+00:00

    Tapping both shift keys together fixed this problem for me. I've had the problem for several years, on different computers, different keyboards. So I'm guessing we are hitting some combo that locks the shift key on. I have the same issue with the CTRL key occasionally, so next time it happens, I will try the double tap with it as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-17T08:49:45+00:00

    The problem looks solved !  Having no problems now for two days !   :-)

     

    May be related to installing about 20 Microsoft updates 2 days ago. Win32k.sys is now version 6.1.7601.18043 dated 2013-01-04.

     

     

     

    The problem is back again since today (May 17th, 2013)  :(  :(  after having no problems since end of January.

    I would expect the cause to be new Microsoft updates, but I had nothing installed today or yesterday, last updates are from May 15th ....

    A tool I installed earlier, 'Traystatus', shows me in the system tray the status of SHIFT and CAPSLOCK keys, and irregular either SHIFT or both SHIFT and CAPSLOCK are enabled as if they were pressed. Of course I press the SHIFT key regularly while typing, but it should return to non-pressed state automatically. Sometimes it doesn't, and very occasional also CAPSLOCK gets activated.

    %windir%\system32\wink32.sys is now v6.1.7601.18126 dated April 10, 2013.

    Soooooo annoying, this ..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-24T04:50:24+00:00

    HI<

    I"the same problem and i have the same issue of a constantly stuck shift key>also my num mad buttons aren"t working and the arrow keys sometimes get depressed too>it"s all quite annoying>

    i have checked the previously mentiuoned procedures with out and my winindir%\system32\wink32.sys is now v6.1.7601.18126 dated April 10, 2013.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more