Stuck shift keys - windows 7 64 bit

Anonymous
2009-12-10T14:34:25+00:00

I've tried turning off all accessibility option. I've tried switching keyboards. I tried hitting shift 5 times, and every other key press combo purported to solve the problem. The only thing that temporarily helps is a reboot, but the problem resurfaces seemingly at random.

Using a Logitech G15 usb keyboard, also tried a microsoft wired ps/2 keyboard. I have installed several programs recently, mostly small apps dealing with overclocking. The cpu was briefly overclocked, then put back to default, I don't think it's the cause of the problem. 

Edit: Also, relogging temporarily fixes the problem as well.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-12T07:04:02+00:00

_________  <--- Was able to do that because the keyboard behaved as though the shift key was always held down. 

Well, I sort of gave up. Rather than figure out what the problem was, I opted to go for a surefire solution. I used windows restore to roll back 36 hours. Problem solved.

I'm convinced it was a problem with overclocking software of some kind.

Anyway. thanks for all your help.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-19T02:03:43+00:00

    Maybe it's too late. But I solved this stuck shift key. In my case issues about stuck key came up after Microsoft Office 2013  installation :( so I went to control panel>Clock, Language and Region> Change Keyboards and other input methods>Keyboards and Languages>advanced key settings and there two options in section Turn Of Caps Lock, so Caps Lock option should be selected not shift.

    Hope it will help.

    It´s never too late. Thank you. This fixed the issue in my case.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-25T06:32:38+00:00

    I found out something, although other might have already know about it but still, try clicking all three at the same time and see if it work, shift+caps lock+right shift, and go and write on a notepad or wordpad and see if it help stop writing in Caps. Oh if you have solved your problem than, Oh.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-09-21T15:53:20+00:00

    Thank you so much for this! It worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-08-30T05:12:22+00:00

    I'm having this problem for a long time too ... atm i just keep on screen keyboard handy , fumbling about on how to open it since the shift is pressed if i double click it will take me to properties, if i press on the desktop it will select a whole row .. if i press on a window it will try to open a new instance of the executable ... so annoying .

    If i press the 2 shifts in OSK it get fixed for a while but it's just so annoying having to go through this ..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments