Stuck shift keys - windows 7 64 bit

Anonymous
2009-12-10T14:34:25+00:00

I've tried turning off all accessibility option. I've tried switching keyboards. I tried hitting shift 5 times, and every other key press combo purported to solve the problem. The only thing that temporarily helps is a reboot, but the problem resurfaces seemingly at random.

Using a Logitech G15 usb keyboard, also tried a microsoft wired ps/2 keyboard. I have installed several programs recently, mostly small apps dealing with overclocking. The cpu was briefly overclocked, then put back to default, I don't think it's the cause of the problem. 

Edit: Also, relogging temporarily fixes the problem as well.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-12T07:04:02+00:00

_________  <--- Was able to do that because the keyboard behaved as though the shift key was always held down. 

Well, I sort of gave up. Rather than figure out what the problem was, I opted to go for a surefire solution. I used windows restore to roll back 36 hours. Problem solved.

I'm convinced it was a problem with overclocking software of some kind.

Anyway. thanks for all your help.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-25T10:30:38+00:00

    I had the same issue. Holding down the SHIFT key for about 10 seconds did the trick. Don't know what triggered it since I didn't install any new software. This worked for me, hope it helps someone in the future.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-22T05:37:12+00:00

    I had this problem and tried many of the fixes here but most didn't help. I tried using the on-screen keyboard and it worked for a few minutes and then back to stuck shift key. It was an old laptop and I was ready to throw it away. I showed my girlfriend the problem and she just started pounding on the keyboard over and over until the laptop locked up. I rebooted it and the problem was gone! It just goes to show that brute force sometimes works when the subtle approach fails. LOL.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-30T22:38:22+00:00

    i had the same problem i started on screen keyboard and pressed shift and started typing with the on screen keyboard and after the first character it started working properly

    I have W8 Surface Pro and Surface Pro2. Had "sticking" shift key on both. I used technique described by VicClarke above. It worked for me.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-22T05:54:06+00:00

    i had the same problem i started on screen keyboard and pressed shift and started typing with the on screen keyboard and after the first character it started working properly

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments