Stuck shift keys - windows 7 64 bit

Anonymous
2009-12-10T14:34:25+00:00

I've tried turning off all accessibility option. I've tried switching keyboards. I tried hitting shift 5 times, and every other key press combo purported to solve the problem. The only thing that temporarily helps is a reboot, but the problem resurfaces seemingly at random.

Using a Logitech G15 usb keyboard, also tried a microsoft wired ps/2 keyboard. I have installed several programs recently, mostly small apps dealing with overclocking. The cpu was briefly overclocked, then put back to default, I don't think it's the cause of the problem. 

Edit: Also, relogging temporarily fixes the problem as well.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-12T07:04:02+00:00

_________  <--- Was able to do that because the keyboard behaved as though the shift key was always held down. 

Well, I sort of gave up. Rather than figure out what the problem was, I opted to go for a surefire solution. I used windows restore to roll back 36 hours. Problem solved.

I'm convinced it was a problem with overclocking software of some kind.

Anyway. thanks for all your help.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-22T13:38:00+00:00

    Thanks for the assistance, but none of that helped me.  I'm stuck with my method until they fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-19T13:39:38+00:00

    As a data point, I've also begun having this issue recently.  I've read many forum posts for the issue and nothing seems to resolve it - years later it seems.  Having the on-screen keyboard helps with troubleshooting.  I have been able to at least stop the behaviour without restarting.  I do this by removing the 4 "HID Keyboard Device" entries in control panel, under 'Keyboards', and then do a 'scan for hardware changes' to reinstall the drivers.  The behaviour has now stopped, although I suspect that it will happen again.

    Edit:  If it begins again, I promise to come back here.  Otherwise it may have fixed the problem permanently.

    Edit 2:  It came back.  Also, removing the drivers didn't immediately work this time until I brought up the on-screen keyboard.

    Just an FYI, I've been experiencing this issue from a corporate standpoint for some time and have had to support it for several years. The way I go about troubleshooting it is as follows:

    1. Tap Shift x 5 to bring up sticky keys menu
    2. Click on the blue link on this window to get to the Ease of Access panel this way (More Options this way)
    3. Disable all checkboxes on this page.
    4. IF ALL ELSE FAILS: Ctrl+Alt+Del and click on Ease of Access in the bottom left, wait till the loading clock on your mouse goes away and cancel back to desktop. It should be no longer acting this way. This is definitely a glitch with Windows 7 and up and I've never seen it until this OS and have seen it at multiple companies using entirely different programs. I hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-21T13:54:46+00:00

    As a data point, I've also begun having this issue recently.  I've read many forum posts for the issue and nothing seems to resolve it - years later it seems.  Having the on-screen keyboard helps with troubleshooting.  I have been able to at least stop the behaviour without restarting.  I do this by removing the 4 "HID Keyboard Device" entries in control panel, under 'Keyboards', and then do a 'scan for hardware changes' to reinstall the drivers.  The behaviour has now stopped, although I suspect that it will happen again.

    Edit:  If it begins again, I promise to come back here.  Otherwise it may have fixed the problem permanently.

    Edit 2:  It came back.  Also, removing the drivers didn't immediately work this time until I brought up the on-screen keyboard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-23T21:30:14+00:00

    I had this problem and tried many of the fixes here but most didn't help. I tried using the on-screen keyboard and it worked for a few minutes and then back to stuck shift key. It was an old laptop and I was ready to throw it away. I showed my girlfriend the problem and she just started pounding on the keyboard over and over until the laptop locked up. I rebooted it and the problem was gone! It just goes to show that brute force sometimes works when the subtle approach fails. LOL. 

    Restarting always fixes it ... until the next time.

    The problem started/got bad early in 2013 and flared up against a few months ago.

    The worst part is having no solution.

    Windows 8 and 8.1 here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments