Stuck shift keys - windows 7 64 bit

Anonymous
2009-12-10T14:34:25+00:00

I've tried turning off all accessibility option. I've tried switching keyboards. I tried hitting shift 5 times, and every other key press combo purported to solve the problem. The only thing that temporarily helps is a reboot, but the problem resurfaces seemingly at random.

Using a Logitech G15 usb keyboard, also tried a microsoft wired ps/2 keyboard. I have installed several programs recently, mostly small apps dealing with overclocking. The cpu was briefly overclocked, then put back to default, I don't think it's the cause of the problem. 

Edit: Also, relogging temporarily fixes the problem as well.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-12T07:04:02+00:00

_________  <--- Was able to do that because the keyboard behaved as though the shift key was always held down. 

Well, I sort of gave up. Rather than figure out what the problem was, I opted to go for a surefire solution. I used windows restore to roll back 36 hours. Problem solved.

I'm convinced it was a problem with overclocking software of some kind.

Anyway. thanks for all your help.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-09T07:32:48+00:00

    Tomasz, could you tell me the version number of your win32k.sys please?

    • Open your %SystemRoot%\system32 folder (typically c:\windows\system32)
    • Right-click on the file win32k.sys
    • Click "Properties"
    • Look in the "Details" tab, and tell me what File Version you see.

    (I expect it will look something like 6.1.7601.12345)

    Anyone else who started experiencing this problem (more) after about July 2011, please reply with the same info.

     

    Thanks!

    Hi Eclosion, can you tell me why you asked this, and would restoring an older version of win32k.sys help? My current version is 6.1.7601.18009, and I don't have previous versions available on my system.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-14T16:04:02+00:00

    Same problem here  :( :(

    Having this nasty (well, it's more than nasty) problem since a few days. No idea where it originates from. With intervals, the SHIFT and/or CAPSLOCK get stuck and I'm typing in capitals, or also often, I am marking a piece of text because I'm moving my mouse and pressing SHIFT again to counteract. First I used Microsoft On-screen-kb (osk.exe) running all the time in a corner of my screen to see when it happens, and to see what key to hit, to counteract the effect. I now found a tool which displays the SHIFT and CAPS LOCK status in the system tray, that is a lot more convenient.

    I am using Win7 Pro x64, English, US International kb (no other keyboard layouts), on HP 8560w notebook, and I am using this notebook over a remote desktop session from my PC. The problem does not seem to occur when working directly on my laptop (not over RDP) but I use the laptop 90% of the time over a RDP session. The problem never occurred on my host PC itself (where I would start mstsc.exe to take over the laptop).

    I checked tasmgr for any unknown processes and stopped all I could think of - HP services (some hotkey service - was not the culprit), Intel services, etc. No luck yet ... Scanned my PC with Malwarebytes Anti-malware. Even replaced my keyboard. No luck.

    I checked the Windows 'Easy of Access' options - especially 'sticky keys' (sure feels that way) - all disabled. To be sure, I enabled and disabled options again - no luck.

    Read somewhere something about Adobe Photoshop interfering with the Shift key. Adobe was indeed active on my host PC - so I closed it. No luck.

    My Win32K.sys = dated 23-11-12 (around the time my problems started !), version 6.1.7601.18010

    This is really frustrating and counter-productive. When anybody has an idea, please share it !!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-22T08:01:22+00:00

    hi there,

    experiencing a similar problem here,

    Shift key gets stuck, but only when changing between languages,

    and it's undoable by hitting the shift one more time after changing the lang.

    i get this issue only when i log in to a remote desktop via a FortiClient VPN service.

    The thing is that i'm not the only user of this VPN client experiencing this issue,

    and I use this client to connect to my working place PC - can't replace it, it's their call.

    Really frustrating...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-11-20T17:16:46+00:00

    I just had the same problem!! I logged off and Logged on as different user and the problem was fixed. Not sure why it happened but that's a quick and easy fix!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments