Stuck shift keys - windows 7 64 bit

Anonymous
2009-12-10T14:34:25+00:00

I've tried turning off all accessibility option. I've tried switching keyboards. I tried hitting shift 5 times, and every other key press combo purported to solve the problem. The only thing that temporarily helps is a reboot, but the problem resurfaces seemingly at random.

Using a Logitech G15 usb keyboard, also tried a microsoft wired ps/2 keyboard. I have installed several programs recently, mostly small apps dealing with overclocking. The cpu was briefly overclocked, then put back to default, I don't think it's the cause of the problem. 

Edit: Also, relogging temporarily fixes the problem as well.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-12T07:04:02+00:00

_________  <--- Was able to do that because the keyboard behaved as though the shift key was always held down. 

Well, I sort of gave up. Rather than figure out what the problem was, I opted to go for a surefire solution. I used windows restore to roll back 36 hours. Problem solved.

I'm convinced it was a problem with overclocking software of some kind.

Anyway. thanks for all your help.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-06T20:05:24+00:00

    I have the same problem. When it occurs it is immediately resolved if I press left shift. I have reinstalled windows several times, without result. Maybe because I always download the updates right away?

    Anyway, this results in possible death in a game I play. This game is the primary reason why I use my computer and I'm seriously going to get another operating system if this is not fixed. It is that important for me.

    File version: 6.1.7601.17904

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-08-19T13:40:49+00:00

    Hi, this problem is occurring on my desktop running w7. There is something odd going on with the left shift key. It appears to be always pressed. I have tried changing the keyboard and turning off all of the accessibility options.

    As soon as I start up it occurs and I have to turn on caps lock to enter my lower case windows password. Then they computer is difficult to use because rather than clicking you are effectively selecting.

    The only thing that seems to help the problem is to bring up the on screen keyboard (no keys are shown pressed). When I close the on screen keyboard the problem is improved. Although it never quite goes away. I can't do a shift semi colon to get a colon. When I restart the problem returns.

    Is this something you might be able to sort out in the near term?

    Regards,

    david.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-08-16T20:20:39+00:00

    Eclosion,

    Here you go.

    Win32ksys Properties

    File description Multi-User Win 32 Driver

    Type System file

    File version 6.1.7601.17904

    Product name Microsoft® windows® Operating System

    Product version 6.1.7601.17904

    Copyright ® Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved...

    Size 3.00 MB

    Date modified 2012-07-18 20:15

    Language English (United States)

    Original filename win32k.sys.

    Hope it helps.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-08-16T02:21:39+00:00

    Tomasz, could you tell me the version number of your win32k.sys please?

    • Open your %SystemRoot%\system32 folder (typically c:\windows\system32)
    • Right-click on the file win32k.sys
    • Click "Properties"
    • Look in the "Details" tab, and tell me what File Version you see.

    (I expect it will look something like 6.1.7601.12345)

    Anyone else who started experiencing this problem (more) after about July 2011, please reply with the same info.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments