Stuck shift keys - windows 7 64 bit

Anonymous
2009-12-10T14:34:25+00:00

I've tried turning off all accessibility option. I've tried switching keyboards. I tried hitting shift 5 times, and every other key press combo purported to solve the problem. The only thing that temporarily helps is a reboot, but the problem resurfaces seemingly at random.

Using a Logitech G15 usb keyboard, also tried a microsoft wired ps/2 keyboard. I have installed several programs recently, mostly small apps dealing with overclocking. The cpu was briefly overclocked, then put back to default, I don't think it's the cause of the problem. 

Edit: Also, relogging temporarily fixes the problem as well.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-12T07:04:02+00:00

_________  <--- Was able to do that because the keyboard behaved as though the shift key was always held down. 

Well, I sort of gave up. Rather than figure out what the problem was, I opted to go for a surefire solution. I used windows restore to roll back 36 hours. Problem solved.

I'm convinced it was a problem with overclocking software of some kind.

Anyway. thanks for all your help.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-10T16:04:43+00:00

    I have the very same problem from time to time. It doesn't happen often, but when it does I am using Corel Draw.

    Basically Shift is turned on and I can't turn it off. A restart always fixes the problem.

    I have all the Sticky Keys options turned off too.

    It makes the system unusable as everything is shift clicked.

    Using Windows x64 too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-12-15T14:05:14+00:00

    Hello nesbitzero,

    Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

    The only way to be sure what was causing the key lock is to first make a System restore point.

    Then reinstall the software one a time until you see if the key lock happens again.

    This is really the only way to determine it.

    Thanks,


    Marilyn

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-12-12T05:45:11+00:00

    Microsoft doesn't care much for capital / noncapital --->and you can't use any of the shifted numbers as password letters either.

    Here try this.

    Log in via the F8 way into the admin account and see if it's still a problem. Maybe with a bit of luck all you'll have to do is delete your current account.

    If the onscreen keyboard can't switch off the shift key (with the external keyboard unplugged to rule out an electrical short) then definetly its a software problem or if your really unlucky, while overclocking you burnt your keyboard chip(if they still exist these days--> I think they don't, thier built into the usb chip now I think).

    __ question - how did you do this? _______ normally on most keyboards you have to press shift to get that character? and then thier is :::::: and """""" shouldn't everything be locked a capitals then?

    Maybe you have enacted somesort of ALTgr style shift lock -- though I have never heard of it.... maybe it will be a feature in the future that microsoft has hidden but has been inadvertently enacted on your PC?


    Computer nerd that services Grannies

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-12-11T08:20:40+00:00

    It's funny some of the advisement some people are given... I ssee you have ALREADY TRIED going through all of the Accesability options.

    --Maybe you have the Stoned Virus (joke - you don't, it was an old Virus in the dos days inwhich it's first syptom was a stuck shift key)

    Um i run into the problem FN Lock every so often ... (which actually needs as similar keyboard plugged in to switch that feature off i think)

    About overcloking software: they reputable downloaded ones or ones you have been keeping on floppy for the last ten years? --> I would use "recent reputable software" especially on a new OS - you never know what an old peice of software can do (especially now that the permission system is a little better in win7)

    ie... overclocking software are lowlevel programs, written to get to the bios and bypass the os. --maybe an old peice of software has buggered something up.

    try out the On screen keyboard and press the shift key on it-> see what happens.

    Problem 2

    Some people are oblivious to thier environment -->even though the probablitiy of 2 physical keyboards having a problem is low you never know - maybe you like to drink coffe with the left hand and have done damege to both keyboards. --Was and dry the buggers

    • you maybe surprised. (these types of problems usually arise on season changes - ie in summer the shift key contacts conduct a little better - and you forgot you had this same problem last summer)

    Computer nerd that services Grannies

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments