The PlayReady update was Incomplete.You will not be able to watch or record protected content until the is successsful. Anyone have this same problem and found a fix ?

Anonymous
2009-11-13T22:43:36+00:00

I have clean installed 2x times the RC of windows 7 pro x64. Both times I have gotten this error in media center. I have  manually downloaded the playready 1.3 program. I can record my satalite channels with no problems so I do not understand why it keeps saying the message above. I am however worried that when the DRM updates for the satalite it will no longer work and I wont be able to update it. I have not changed anything in the hardware in the computer also so it would not be because it thinks its a different computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-13T06:32:03+00:00

Clarification on this: Been working on this issue for over 2 months on 4 computers, this is what i've found.

Note: Not all fixes will work on a pc due to various stages of updates, patches, etc. No matter what anyone says or claims. What works for me, the other person, or even tech support, may not due to some odd configuration on your pc. None the less, this is what I've done on the final 3 computers that didn't auto update the readyplay.

  1. get to the point in media center that it says Readyplay Failed to update, do you wish to try again.

(OPTIONAL) Download the Reset DRM Tool from Microsoft, Change Compatibility Mode to Windows 7 (or lesser version of Windows), Run the Tool As Admin. It should Install and say Successful.

  1. Open up Windows "Services" via Control Pannel > Administrative Tools > Services.
  2. With Media Center Open and Showing "The PlayReady update was incomplete. Do you want to try again?" Goto the "Services" pannel you just opened and scroll all the way down to "Windows Media Center Receiver Services", double click on it, then click "Stop"
  3. Navigate to the ReadyPlay HIDDEN folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady) and THEN delete the mspr.hds file.
  4. Go back to the STILL OPEN & RUNNING, Media Center and click "Yes" and "Next" to the Update PlayReady question. It should immediately zip past and say update complete & you can watch and record copy protected bla bla bla. It may also update a guide or something too.

If this doesn't work for you after 5-6 tries, you might have something else blocking you, but you don't need both 32bit and 64bit PlayReady installed for it to update. It's the 'Service' that is truley stopping the update, but just simply stopping it w/o those others steps may not get it working >.<

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-14T23:20:48+00:00

Thanks Mcshane for some odd reason I guess the third try was the charm I uninstalled it yet again today and tried somethng weird actually even though I  had the x86 installed only before. I installed both the x86 and the amd64 versions and low and behold it updated /shakes head. I dbl checked and it updated both so I guess whatever was blocking it was fixed by loading both. Thanks for the help.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-11-14T18:45:06+00:00

    Hi,

    Uninstall and reinstall it

    and then check

    It looks like DRM issue to me.

    http://www.microsoft.com/PlayReady/Overview.mspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-06-20T03:04:37+00:00

    So what are you saying the solution is?  Uninstall / reinstall win7???????????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-06-20T16:37:01+00:00

    On 6/19/2010 10:04 PM, brzip wrote:

    So what are you saying the solution is?  Uninstall / reinstall win7???????????

    In his case, the solution was to uinstall PlayReady and reinstall it.  However, he needed to install both the x86 and amd64 versions as he was on a 64-bit version of Windows.  So, that would be the potential solution for you.

    However, if you're still on the RC (which the original poster was), then yes the solution (at least the first part) is to uninstall Windows and install a purchased licensed copy of the RTM version.


    Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.

    Have you updated today?

    http://update.microsoft.com


    Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments