error 1068 - Windows could not start the Peer Networking Grouping on Local Computer.

Anonymous
2009-11-27T20:42:53+00:00

error 1068 - Windows could not start the Peer Networking Grouping on Local Computer. ALSO, Windows could not start the Peer Name Resolution Protocol Service on Local Computer. Peer Networking Identity Manager IS started. All three are set to "automatic" startup. I have an HTPC and my main system, both running Windows 7 Premium 64 bit. The HTPC has all three "Peer" services started but my main PC can only start two of the three services. I have checked and both failed services are logged on to "Local Service"--just as in the HTPC. Both PC's are new builds with very little installed as far as programs are concerned. I have performed a SFC /SCANNOW on my main PC to see if any corrupt files were found--and none were found. So, I am not able to network the two PC's. Other than reinstalling my OS on my main PC, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? By the way, when I try to start the Peer Name Resolution Protocol Service I receive the error: 0x80630801: 0x80630801 . Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-28T17:16:58+00:00

Hi Warpete,

Welcome to Microsoft answers.

As a work around you may try the following steps and check if that works fine:

Try deleting the file “idstore.sst” under the location: C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking.

Refer the link for similar issue: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/a85eaa65-d73a-4324-ad0c-e9a2c1469bd7

If the above steps do not work, then you may post the issue in TechNet Forums for further assistance from the below link:

Windows 7 TechNet forum -http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd361745.aspx

Swathi B 

  • Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-06T20:55:05+00:00

    thanks thanks thanks mr xavierbe your solution is the best for me . thank for your intellect

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-01T11:02:56+00:00

    Thanks!! You just saved my day!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-20T19:44:47+00:00

    FIXED! Yeeehaaww!

    After several days of absolute frustration, trying to fix this Error 1068 and related issues, I am overjoyed to have finally found a solution! Here are the details:

    ISSUE DETAILS: 

    Basically my intent was to turn my laptop into a WiFi router, so I went through online tutorials which somehow didn't seem to work. When I got into troubleshooting mode, I found out that the ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) required a few services to be enabled and working properly. A couple of them were not started, so I fixed those, but then I encountered a couple of services which wouldn't start (Error 1068) even when I tried, I knew I was onto something.

    THE FIX:

    1. Enable all services as advised in the "Let me fix it myself" section of this page  (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/827328).

    If you're having trouble finding Services, go to msconfig.exe (through Start Menu search) and then go to tab "Services"

    1. If you encounter a problem (such as Error 1068) while trying to enable the service "Remote Access Connection Manager" like I did, then it may actually be dependent on the service "Windows Event Log", which in my case wasn't started and refused to start manually (Error 5, if I remember correctly). To start it, first change the security/permissions on the logs folder as described on this page (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/8223.windows-could-not-start-the-windows-event-log-service-on-local-computer-error-5-access-is-denied.aspx)
    2. Then make sure you reboot, then start up the service "Windows Event Log", followed by the other offending services that weren't starting earlier. Once all relevant services are running, reboot again and you should be all set.

    LONG STORY SHORT: the culprits are: services "Remote Access Connection Manager" and "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager", which depend on service "Windows Event Log", which depends on the correct permissions on folder %WINDIR%\System32\WinEvt\Logs

    Let me know if this ends up working for you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-19T11:10:20+00:00

    didn't work for me either

    Hi there,

    I found the following solution (Sythus/fourthletter-reddit) which worked in my case.

    I was trying to link wirelessly a wired PC (Windows 8.1, awaiting Microsoft download of Windows 10) and a laptop  (Windows 10) as well as a printer linked by an ethernet cable to my router. (Private/homegroup).

    1. Go to: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA
    2. Right-click "MachineKeys" and go down to "Properties"
    3. Under the "Security" tab, click "Edit..." and check "Allow", "Full Control" for "Everyone".

    Additionally, you may want to check that Home Listener & HomeGroup Provider are running. (Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services).

    Good luck! XVDBE

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments