error 1068 - Windows could not start the Peer Networking Grouping on Local Computer.

Anonymous
2009-11-27T20:42:53+00:00

error 1068 - Windows could not start the Peer Networking Grouping on Local Computer. ALSO, Windows could not start the Peer Name Resolution Protocol Service on Local Computer. Peer Networking Identity Manager IS started. All three are set to "automatic" startup. I have an HTPC and my main system, both running Windows 7 Premium 64 bit. The HTPC has all three "Peer" services started but my main PC can only start two of the three services. I have checked and both failed services are logged on to "Local Service"--just as in the HTPC. Both PC's are new builds with very little installed as far as programs are concerned. I have performed a SFC /SCANNOW on my main PC to see if any corrupt files were found--and none were found. So, I am not able to network the two PC's. Other than reinstalling my OS on my main PC, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? By the way, when I try to start the Peer Name Resolution Protocol Service I receive the error: 0x80630801: 0x80630801 . Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-28T17:16:58+00:00

Hi Warpete,

Welcome to Microsoft answers.

As a work around you may try the following steps and check if that works fine:

Try deleting the file “idstore.sst” under the location: C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking.

Refer the link for similar issue: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/a85eaa65-d73a-4324-ad0c-e9a2c1469bd7

If the above steps do not work, then you may post the issue in TechNet Forums for further assistance from the below link:

Windows 7 TechNet forum -http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd361745.aspx

Swathi B 

  • Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-01-12T01:16:58+00:00

    error 1068 - Windows could not start the Peer Networking Grouping on Local Computer. ALSO, Windows could not start the Peer Name Resolution Protocol Service on Local Computer. Peer Networking Identity Manager IS started. All three are set to "automatic" startup. I have an HTPC and my main system, both running Windows 7 Premium 64 bit. The HTPC has all three "Peer" services started but my main PC can only start two of the three services. I have checked and both failed services are logged on to "Local Service"--just as in the HTPC. Both PC's are new builds with very little installed as far as programs are concerned. I have performed a SFC /SCANNOW on my main PC to see if any corrupt files were found--and none were found. So, I am not able to network the two PC's. Other than reinstalling my OS on my main PC, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? By the way, when I try to start the Peer Name Resolution Protocol Service I receive the error: 0x80630801: 0x80630801 . Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

    I have exactly this same problem on a fresh install of 7 Pro 64bit.  The only difference for me is that the idstore delete did not work, nor did any of the many other solutions found online.  I cannot get thepeer name resolution protocol service or peer networking grouping services to start.  I also got the same error code.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-26T14:09:27+00:00

    Hello, Sir

    Apparently the folder named "AppData" in location of C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\ could not be found. Here's a photo of proof, I did every options you could think of like going to option and show hidden files or just execute the location or search it.

    Please reply asap or email me asap.

    Thank you 

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-19T11:10:20+00:00

    didn't work for me either

    Hi there,

    I found the following solution (Sythus/fourthletter-reddit) which worked in my case.

    I was trying to link wirelessly a wired PC (Windows 8.1, awaiting Microsoft download of Windows 10) and a laptop  (Windows 10) as well as a printer linked by an ethernet cable to my router. (Private/homegroup).

    1. Go to: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA
    2. Right-click "MachineKeys" and go down to "Properties"
    3. Under the "Security" tab, click "Edit..." and check "Allow", "Full Control" for "Everyone".

    Additionally, you may want to check that Home Listener & HomeGroup Provider are running. (Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services).

    Good luck! XVDBE

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-30T05:59:52+00:00

    Hi Warpete,

    Welcome to Microsoft answers.

    As a work around you may try the following steps and check if that works fine:

    Try deleting the file “idstore.sst” under the location: C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking.

    Refer the link for similar issue: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/a85eaa65-d73a-4324-ad0c-e9a2c1469bd7

    If the above steps do not work, then you may post the issue in TechNet Forums for further assistance from the below link:

    Windows 7 TechNet forum - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd361745.aspx

    Swathi B  - Microsoft Support.

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

    Sorry, doesn't work.. tried many solutions offered online, but to no avail...

    thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments