Error: Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

Anonymous
2010-06-28T12:42:03+00:00

Original title: Windows 7.File system is NTFS volume label is OS.Can not open volume for direct access. Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

I have recently upgraded from Vista home premium to Windows 7 Home premium, and everything was working fine, until recently I keep receiving the above message every time I start my laptop. I cannot do a system restore and this error tells me to do a system restore. I downloaded the upgrade from the internet, so I don't have a copy or disc to reinstall. Can anyone help me solve this problem or do I have to uninstall all the recent software programmes?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-17T17:51:08+00:00

Hi Lowey58

I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

  1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
  2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
  3. Restart
  4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
  5. Re-install AVG

Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-01-23T22:51:36+00:00

    Hi Lowey58

    I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

    1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
    2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
    3. Restart
    4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
    5. Re-install AVG

    Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

    Thank you. This solved my problem. I've since switched to Avast Antivirus, and have had no further repeats of this incident.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-01-24T13:37:30+00:00

    Divya R - Microsoft Support,

    I have a question or two.

    It appears a recent Windows 7 update is causing this problem based on the reading of the issues raised.

    When will Microsoft provide a fix for this?

    Does one need to uninstall virus protection and reinstall every time one wish to run chkdsk?  This would be very annoying and takes several hours.

    I do not appreciate being put in this position by updates to my computer.  I have been able to run chkdsk any time it was needed with out removing and reinstalling any software.

    Regards,   Vic

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-01-25T18:52:32+00:00

    Hey buford III,

    Because this thread was started by another person and because of the threads age, I suggest you follow the link below to start your own thread.

    Asking your own question helps the community help you specifically with your issue. Remember to include all the details (your version of windows, specs of your system, any error codes etc...) that you can when you start your own thread.

    New Thread Link Here

    Thanks for Posting to Microsoft Answers buford III!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-02-18T16:27:30+00:00

    Hi Lowey58,

    Thank you.  I had the same problem and I folled your advice by uninstalling my Security and re-installing it.  That did the trick.  What amazed me most, however, is that I have different security software than you.  I use Symantec Norton Internet Security.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments