Error: Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

Anonymous
2010-06-28T12:42:03+00:00

Original title: Windows 7.File system is NTFS volume label is OS.Can not open volume for direct access. Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

I have recently upgraded from Vista home premium to Windows 7 Home premium, and everything was working fine, until recently I keep receiving the above message every time I start my laptop. I cannot do a system restore and this error tells me to do a system restore. I downloaded the upgrade from the internet, so I don't have a copy or disc to reinstall. Can anyone help me solve this problem or do I have to uninstall all the recent software programmes?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-17T17:51:08+00:00

Hi Lowey58

I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

  1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
  2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
  3. Restart
  4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
  5. Re-install AVG

Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-11T23:13:34+00:00

    I had this same issue occur after a nasty malware attack it appears thatsfc/scannow showed no file integrity violations, but autochk would not run at boot.

    I use a program called Diskeeper, which does boot file defragmentation, and this was where I ran into the autochk problem.

    For me, I tried uninstalling my anti-virus, and rebooted, dskchk did it's operation and I am back in business.

    I have no idea if this is an AVG issue or a problem with Windows,but it seems to have resolved by doing this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-16T12:48:11+00:00

    The solutions did not work for me.  Microsoft's strength is not supporting its products.  I my next solution may be to reformat and reinstall, if I can get installation CDs from HP.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-31T08:37:32+00:00

    The only software "recently installed" on my computer was Microsoft's updates still I got this chkdsk error message on startup. I tried the solution suggested of starting from the Win7 DVD and that didn't fix the problem.

    Fortunately the other solution suggested of unistalling the virus protection - I use Norton 360 - worked just fine.

    Thanks to all for the help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-02T19:59:02+00:00

    The only software "recently installed" on my computer was Microsoft's updates still I got this chkdsk error message on startup. I tried the solution suggested of starting from the Win7 DVD and that didn't fix the problem.

    Fortunately the other solution suggested of unistalling the virus protection - I use Norton 360 - worked just fine.

    Thanks to all for the help. 

    I had to reinstall Win 7 totally, did not activate it.

    Fortunately, I had an Acronis backup from the previous day. I restarted with the Acronis disk and got everything back. I was in an infinite loop of this chkdsk error code. Nothing else would work. Acronis has saved my bacon many times in the past couple of years (I'm sure Norton Ghost would also do the same). It's 50 bucks well spent on Amazon. Try Acronis 2011 for Win 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments