Error: Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

Anonymous
2010-06-28T12:42:03+00:00

Original title: Windows 7.File system is NTFS volume label is OS.Can not open volume for direct access. Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

I have recently upgraded from Vista home premium to Windows 7 Home premium, and everything was working fine, until recently I keep receiving the above message every time I start my laptop. I cannot do a system restore and this error tells me to do a system restore. I downloaded the upgrade from the internet, so I don't have a copy or disc to reinstall. Can anyone help me solve this problem or do I have to uninstall all the recent software programmes?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-17T17:51:08+00:00

Hi Lowey58

I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

  1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
  2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
  3. Restart
  4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
  5. Re-install AVG

Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-02T06:19:55+00:00

    Hi Divya R

    I tried your method, but unfortunately it didn't work. Have you any other suggestions. The link provided ends up with the same error.

    Thanks

    Lowey58

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-09T09:12:46+00:00

    Hi Lowey58,

    I would suggest you to run chkdsk utility fromWindows recovery enviornment (WINRE) and check if it can identify any issues and fix it. Later try to boot to the desktop and check if it helps.

    Follow the steps below to boot the computer in WINRE mode and run chkdsk utility.

    1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc.
    2. Restart your computer.
    3. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

    Note: If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.

    1. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    2. Click Repair your computer.
    3. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    4. On the System Recovery Options menu, select command prompt.
    5. Type the command <tt>chkdsk C: /f /r and press enter</tt>

    If Windows recovery enviornment (WINRE) is preinstalled option on your computer:

    1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

    Click the Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.

    1. Do one of the following:

    • If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

    • If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.

    1. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press ENTER. (If Repair your computer is not listed as an option, then your computer does not include Startup Repair as a preinstalled recovery option.)
    2. Select a keyboard layout, and then click next.
    3. Select a user name and enter the password, and then click OK.
    4. On the System Recovery Options menu, select command prompt.
    5. Type the command <tt>chkdsk C: /f /r and press enter</tt>

    <tt> </tt>

    Once the check disk is complete try to boot to the desktop and verify if you are able to access desktop.

    Access the link below to know more about Windows recovery options in Windows 7.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

    Hope this helps. Let us know the result.

    Thanks and Regards,


    Srinivas R

    Microsoft Support.

    Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-12T22:50:51+00:00

    <!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

    OK... I have this problem too. First happened after Windows 7 recommended I download and install an update for Nero 8 – whether it's coincidence or not, I don't know. Anyway, just to clarify:

    1. I can't roll back to before the Nero update, as W7 reports file corruption;
    2. I can't undo file corruption because there's no way to run chkdsk;
    3. I have even tried running chkdsk from the Recovery Environment via the W7 DVD – same error message as per the title of the original post.

    This is Not Good. Should I join the millions upgrading from W7 to XP?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-07-19T10:02:08+00:00

    Hi MJC_UK, Thanks very much. Your method worked for me also. Cheers Lowey58

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments