Error: Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

Anonymous
2010-06-28T12:42:03+00:00

Original title: Windows 7.File system is NTFS volume label is OS.Can not open volume for direct access. Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

I have recently upgraded from Vista home premium to Windows 7 Home premium, and everything was working fine, until recently I keep receiving the above message every time I start my laptop. I cannot do a system restore and this error tells me to do a system restore. I downloaded the upgrade from the internet, so I don't have a copy or disc to reinstall. Can anyone help me solve this problem or do I have to uninstall all the recent software programmes?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-17T17:51:08+00:00

Hi Lowey58

I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

  1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
  2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
  3. Restart
  4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
  5. Re-install AVG

Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-16T12:48:11+00:00

    The solutions did not work for me.  Microsoft's strength is not supporting its products.  I my next solution may be to reformat and reinstall, if I can get installation CDs from HP.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-11T23:13:34+00:00

    I had this same issue occur after a nasty malware attack it appears thatsfc/scannow showed no file integrity violations, but autochk would not run at boot.

    I use a program called Diskeeper, which does boot file defragmentation, and this was where I ran into the autochk problem.

    For me, I tried uninstalling my anti-virus, and rebooted, dskchk did it's operation and I am back in business.

    I have no idea if this is an AVG issue or a problem with Windows,but it seems to have resolved by doing this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-18T04:21:06+00:00

    Chkdsk needs autochk at boot time. Autochk at boot time asks for system recovery. Then system recovery needs you to perform chkdsk. It is deadlock. I would blame autochk that should have solved all the disk problems at boot time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-13T23:53:34+00:00

    (As quoted from Divya R. )

    1. Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD->Click 'Run as Administrator'
    2. At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r

     

    When you restart your system, your computer will be scanned for errors and attempts will be made to correct them.

     

    Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

    Additionally you may refer the following link for more information:

    Check a drive for errors

    Regards,

    Divya R – Microsoft Support.

    Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    It makes sense to assume that if chkdsk will not run at boot time due to an error, trying to run chkdsk at boot time will not work. Please try again Microsoft.

    The advice given by Divya R tells windows to try to run chkdsk during boot time to check your hard drive for errors. If you receive the message indicated in the title of this thread, then Divya R's advice will fail as it tells windows to try to do exactly what it says it can't do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments