Error: Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

Anonymous
2010-06-28T12:42:03+00:00

Original title: Windows 7.File system is NTFS volume label is OS.Can not open volume for direct access. Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

I have recently upgraded from Vista home premium to Windows 7 Home premium, and everything was working fine, until recently I keep receiving the above message every time I start my laptop. I cannot do a system restore and this error tells me to do a system restore. I downloaded the upgrade from the internet, so I don't have a copy or disc to reinstall. Can anyone help me solve this problem or do I have to uninstall all the recent software programmes?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-17T17:51:08+00:00

Hi Lowey58

I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

  1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
  2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
  3. Restart
  4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
  5. Re-install AVG

Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-10-06T16:47:12+00:00

    Worked for me as well. Thanks for the great hint.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-04T15:46:13+00:00

    I solved my issue with this error by removing the hard drive. Using an external USB adapter and conneting it to an XP box ( assume a windows 7 works as well) and froma CMD prompt runnig CHKDSK /R on the drive that has the problem. It took forever( 1.5 hours) to complete the CHKDSK but it clearedthe problem.

    Good Luck . Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-03T18:34:40+00:00

    In my case, the problem had to do with a bad entry in the system path environment variable.  More specifically, I had a UNC entry before the various systemroot entries in the system path.  Networking is not yet enabled during autochk so it's a no-brainer that an error would occur if an attempt to find autochk.exe used a UNC path; if only the error message was more helpful in the first place.  I had to use procmon's boot logger to find the problem.

    The key for me is to put the systemroot entries at the very beginning of the system path:

    c:\windows\system32;c:\windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;\unc\path\here\if\needed;...

    Hope this helps someone else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-07-20T00:29:28+00:00

    Hello all,

    Glad to know that you are issue has been fixed now Lowey58. Thank you MJC_UK for pointing Lowey58 in the right direction. This will help the other users with similar issue as well.

    In most cases the Antivirus Software prevents the scan or installation of other software on the computer. In those scenarios it would be better to disable antivrus softwareand then re-enable the same once done with the scan/installation of the software.

    Regards,

    Divya R – Microsoft Support.

    Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    yeah tried all of the solutions and none of them work

    honestly I'm getting kind of tired of always having this problem, I try to run a system restore and it tells me to run a disc check, and when I do it tells me I need to run system restore, wasn't windows 7 designed specifically to avoid such redundancies? and all this started because of service pack one

    I can't even just re-install windows because of a bad sector that your operating system can't fix

    it's a good thing I hate apple and refuse to use Linux

    what I need is to roll back my computer to before SP1, so maybe someone could tell me how to do so manually rather than relying on system tools that refuse to work?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments